Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tx Rx crystal/freq mystery

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tx Rx crystal/freq mystery

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 05:39 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tx Rx crystal/freq mystery

ORIGINAL: pgitta
and...some feel they've been "flamed" by me? well let me tell you, there are ways so subtly flame people with provocative phrases such as "I suppose you informed the buyer ...
If you're going to quote someone, the least you could do is not modify the words.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:15 PM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

I'm sorry, here are your words:

Hopefully you informed the person to whom you sold the 6EXA that you had ILLEGALLY changed the frequency so he could factor in the cost of sending it to an authorized technician for tuning.
...and my paraphrasing:

I suppose you informed the buyer of your radio that you illegally changed the crystal so he could add in the expense of getting it retuned
You're right. I screwed up and quoted you nicer than you actually were. I should have included the snide capitol "ILLEGALLY"
Old 03-07-2005, 06:52 PM
shakes268

Well, it IS ILLEGAL. There is a reason those laws were put into place. I'm sure you think you know better than the people who did the research and wrote the laws but that doesn't change the fact that your acts not only are effecting yourself but the poor person who purchased a radio from you. He is unknowingly flying (I assume since you never stated you told him) with an illegally modified radio. If its not such a big deal, call him up and tell him. If its not such a big deal, call up the FCC and ask them to put their stamp of approval on your radio.

I can drive 80 mph every day for the next year in a 45 mph zone and maybe nothing will happen. Maybe one of those days someone might change lanes in front of me and I'll have an accident. Maybe if I had been driving a little slower it would have never happened. As many of the others have stated, the laws are there for a reason. Not to be inconveniences to kids modifying radios but for real world reasons.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Xrod
My Feedback: (2)

As a person that just can't follow rules, you would not be welcome at our club. You set a poor example for others that are trying to learn here on RCU. You seem to be advocating the approach of go ahead and break the rules if you can, it's OK. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2005, 08:07 PM
pgitta

*sigh*
Old 03-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Stick Jammer

Whether we like it or not, our society is full of rules, laws, and regulations. Some good, and maybe some not so good. Bottom line is, most are there for the better and unfortunately it is not up to us to decide if any particular law seems to makes sense. After re-reading the initial post, there was an awful lot of crystal swapping going on. Maybe this was the source of the problems, maybe not. Seems to me it would have made more sense to just purchase the 7CAP on the channel that was already in the planes. Hopefully you'll get things straightened out.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Azzir325

Well, I just read this psot from start to finish and finally, I have some answers to questions that have been on my mind since my club went to all odd freqs, and virtually ALL of my aircraft were on various even freqs. No one in my club was able to give me definitive info (and trust me, there are some experienced senior guys here) on transmitter crystal changes other then "it's probably not good, but if you do, keep the change as close as possible (ie:channel 44 to 43 or 45) and you should be OK". And my experience to date has proved them correct, but I hate the idea that I am technically in violation of the law. Maybe I'll get me one of those Polk radios that let you tune it to any receiver freq you want. The only problem with those radios is they aren't for helis, and one of my aircraft IS a heli. Sigh. Not to mention, I have some high band, some low band, and even a few AM types in the mix. Anyway, thanks.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:21 PM
pgitta

You are brave to admit it. You run the risk of being accused of all sorts of hidious crimes. But it's refreshing, as my situation also involved a narrow range between 47-52 which if anyone had taken the time to wipe the foam from their mouths, I would have revealed that my local HS gave me that exact same advice.

Since then I've been informed I'm a lousy, selfish, violating a-hole.

Oh well.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
piper_chuck

You are brave to admit it. You run the risk of being accused of all sorts of hidious crimes. But it's refreshing, as my situation also involved a narrow range between 47-52 which if anyone had taken the time to wipe the foam from their mouths, I would have revealed that my local HS gave me that exact same advice.
It's not at all refreshing. Bad advice, even if from a local "HS", is still... BAD ADVICE! It in no way justifies breaking the law, or your continued attempts to make it seem like it's not wrong. Perhaps you may not have known it was wrong, to which you might have replied, "shucks, I had no idea, better not do that again". But that's not how you responded when called on it, so...

If your local car dealer tells you your car can do 140 MPH are you going to go out on the roads and try it?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:50 PM
pgitta

See what I mean? Foam.

Piper down. I thought it was refreshing.

And where would the car dealer be located? Wyoming? Rhode Island?

I wouldn't be able to answer your 140MPH question without further clarification.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Off to solder a crystal into my Tx that I found in an old VCR and modify the circuitry to up the power to arounf 50 watts or so.

1/4 watt? get real FCC!

Old 03-08-2005, 04:57 PM
piper_chuck

See what I mean? Foam.
What you call foam, most others call fact.
And where would the car dealer be located? Wyoming? Rhode Island?

I wouldn't be able to answer your 140MPH question without further clarification.
Other than determining by how much you will break the speed limit, does it matter?