Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Mixing '[c|k]otes

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Mixing '[c|k]otes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 10:35 AM
melessqr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing '[c|k]otes

Is there any problem mixing Monokote and Ultracote on the same bird?

I've been reading reviews, and Ultracote (Oracover) seems to be the concensus "easier to work with", and they have some patterend coverings that are attractive and would be helpful to my perceived scheme... I was considering Ultracote for the main convering.

However, Monocote has a bunch of colors I'd like to use, and their matching Lustrekote paint line is also very attractive... I was considering using a lot of Monokote over the Ultracote for trim...

Any problem with this?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mixing '[c|k]otes

Nope. Go for it.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:01 PM
RVman

Monokote needs a higher temp than ultracote therefore monokote cannot be used as a trim becuase it will melt/wreck the ultracote underneath
Old 03-11-2005, 10:22 PM
melessqr

That's one vote yes, one vote no...

Someone wanna hop in here with a tie breaker?

I didn't think much heat was needed/used to adhere trim, regardless of brand.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:54 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

MonoKote will work fine over UltraCote, but as mentioned the UltraCote shrinks at a lower temp. Lots of folks use MonoKote over UltraCote because you can apply it over the UltraCote using the "windex method." UltraCote does not adhere like MonoKote does when you apply it with Windex.

The windex method is used by cutting the MonoKote out in the design or shape wanted, spray the back of the MonoKote with Windex, then position the MonoKote on top of the UltraCote. Use a credit card, or something similar to squeegee the Windex out from under the MonoKote and allow to dry overnight. If some of the edges have not stuck I have had success in using the iron to carefully touch around the edges to stick the MonoKote. After the Windex has dried, some like to wet a Q Tip with trim solvent and go around the edges of the MonoKote to help make it stick better.

Do a search of "Windex" in the plane forum and you will find some threads with much more detailed instruction than I provided.

On planes that I was not too concerned about having some bubbles under the MonoKote I have just ironed it down over the UltraCote. Even thought the UltraCote shrinks at a lower temp, it tolerates heat pretty good. I have never melted UltraCote when applying MonoKote over it.

Be patient. It takes lots of time for most of us to do a good job.

Good luck,

Eric
Old 03-12-2005, 12:53 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Are we talking of the same thing : Oracover! Made in Germany! Ultra cote in the US...
Oracover can take more heat than monokote! Used it for 20 years!
Monokote can be used over Oracover with no problem and Oracover is more easy to use at max temperature.
I always have my iron on max heat when I cover!

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20997.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	242624  
Old 03-12-2005, 02:19 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Different people use different techniques, and I am by no means a covering expert, but my experience is that UltraCote shrinks at a lower temp than MonoKote. That does not mean that it will not tolerate as much or more heat, but the shrinking starts at a lower temp. I like to use as little heat as possible.

Covering has a finite amount of shrinking potential. Over time, planes sometimes develop wrinkles. My experience is that if you use high heat when applying the covering, that diminishes the amount of remaining shrink potential that might be needed to get rid of those wrinkles.

I think a lot of being able to cover successfully comes down to trial and error to find out what technique works for you.

Eric
Old 03-12-2005, 10:14 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used them together a few times with very good results.