Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

problem with O.S 40

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

problem with O.S 40

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 03:26 PM
jlobster88
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with O.S 40

hi, i learn't how to fly not to long ago, the man who taught me is on vacation so i went flying alone. I have a Tower Hobbies Trainer .40 with an O.S. .40LA. I went flying thruday with no problems, there was still snow on the parking lot which we fly at so i was not using a air breather. Sunday when i went flying the pavement was bare so i put the air breather on (sand is an issue at this parking lot because it is right near the dunes). I made on flight no problem, fueled up and got ready to go again. I checked the setting on the motor and it seemed to be running fine, it sounded good, and i would give me full power once i pushed the stick up. I started take off and you could hear the motor running really slugish. I ran out of runway so i was going to have to fly around, land it, and then try to find the problem. About 5-8 feet off of the ground the engine dies, the only thing that i could think of doing was to go with the wind and try to land. The landing was rough, (broke the controll horn on the elevator, and scratched the wings) but i know that this could have been much worse. I figured that since the air was cold here, it was more dense and the air filter restricted the air flow to the engine. So my question is: whan can i do to componsate for the restricted air flow, If i was to lean out the mixture would it give me any other problems?