Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

joining wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 10:19 PM
jadec241
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default joining wing

Am about to join to halves of wing together at the root ribs. Was wondering what is the best way. Have heard of using fiberglass tape & using thinned epoxy with alchohol or using the tape with thin ca. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:26 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: joining wing

The best way it to first join the wing halves by using 30 minute epoxy. 30 minute gives you a stronger joint, and gives you more time to get everything straight before it starts to set. After the epoxy is set then you can use fiberglass tape around joint to strengthen it. You can use CA, epoxy, or fiberglass resin to set the cloth.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:56 PM
jadec241

Thanks. was not sure which way to go. Epoxy or ca. The wing is already joined at the root rib. I have the tape but havn't heard which way was best. Have CA ,epoxy & rosin, Will probably use the epoxy thinned out with alchohol since it will give me more time to work with it.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:22 AM
kdheath

I measure from the centerline and mark where the tape will go, so I get it straight. Then tack it down at the trailing edge with a little CA. Pull the tape around, pulling it tight and straight. Tack it again with the CA. It should now be lying flat and straight. Now you use CA if you wish, but the fumes can kill elephants. I can't prove this, but I worry that thinning epoxy weakens it. So, I brush 30 minute epoxy on the tape and hit it lightly with my hot air gun. It will flow out and fill every crevice of the tape. You should see lots of air bubbles. Then I dab all the excess epoxy off the tape with paper towels to save the weight. Takes longer to tell than do, but produces a very nice result in a few minutes. BTW, the alcohol won't lengthen the set time of the epoxy. Epoxy sets by a chemical reaction, not evaporation. Temperature will change the working time some.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:13 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, thinning epoxy WILL lengthen the cure time. I don't know the chemistry involved, (nor do I care to) but I have done it enough times to know it does.

In any case, Since you're going the epoxy rout, I'll skip the CA instructions....

For epoxy, if you thin it at all, use denatured alcohol and only thin it VERY slightly (It won't take much alcohol to thin it, just few drops). Have everything ready, cause once you start, you only have a 30 minute window (Give or take - depending on too many factors to list).

Brush a thin layer of epoxy (Inside the guidelines that kdheath described) on the center of the wing.

Lay the cloth in place and smooth out the wrinkles with a gloved finger (Rubber gloves, plastic bag over the hand, etc.)

Once smooth, brush a fill coat over the cloth. (You can heat to smooth any irregularities that may occur)

Set in warm, dry place to cure.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:32 PM
jadec241

Thanks for the tips both of you. I just read that if you run a strip of masking tape down the line, if you get any epoxy overflow, you can peal off the tape & have a perfect line. Of course you can only do the top or bottom one at a time till the other dries. Will let you know how it comes out. Will be doing it tomorrow after I get done flying.