Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

A non steerable tail wheel

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

A non steerable tail wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 03:57 PM
JasonWilliam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A non steerable tail wheel

This may seem really basic, and I'm almost embarrassed to ask but... how do you steer a plane on the ground if the rear wheel is of the non-steering type? My club has a starting pad and a runway. Typically you taxi out from the starting pad to the runway then take off. This requires a few turns to accomplish. I'm assuming the non steering tail wheel setup would not work in my setup??
Old 03-30-2005, 04:03 PM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: A non steerable tail wheel

ITs controled by the prop wash past the rudder. You have to work the throttle a bit and blast the air by the rudder as you deflect in the direction you are turrning. The tail wheel has to be free spinning in order for this type of set up to work.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do not even need a tail wheel-just a tail skid, especially if flying off grass or sod. It is quite easy to learn to use the rudder and elevator to do ground manuevers. To turn, just a little down elevator, rudder in the direction you want to turn then give a burst of throttle and the tail raises and whips around in the direction you want. A bit of practice and you will soon be able to taxi better than those with trike gear and/or tailwheels. The hardest part is learning just how much you depend on elevator position as well as rudder to make your turns. You are literally flying on the ground.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:56 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Interesting contrasting opinions. Here's another.

Given a choice I prefer a steerable tail wheel. If I can't have that, either a fixed tail wheel or skid is my next choice. Most of the people I've seen with freely turning tail wheels have a hard time controlling them if there is the slightest amount of wind. In general I put a steerable tail wheel on anything larger than .25 size planes.

Moving on to the topic of elevator. I agree elevator management will be necessary to make a plane with a fixed tail wheel, or a skid, turn. However, I have more than one plane that will nose over in a heartbeat if I even approach down elevator. They usually turn just fine even when holding full up. Occasionally, in a strong wind I will be unable to turn in the desired direction, no matter what I do. On these occasions I end up doing a 270 in the opposite direction.

Bottom line, each plane will be a bit different, so experimentation will determine what works best.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:12 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I have found that with a fixed tail skid it is easier to turn with less than full up elevator. You will just need a little bit of practice and you will get the hang of it in no time at all.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:36 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: mscic-RCU

I have found that with a fixed tail skid it is easier to turn with less than full up elevator. You will just need a little bit of practice and you will get the hang of it in no time at all.
No disagreement. Usually I can turn fine with full up. Sometimes I need less than full up. I actually meant my comments more at the suggestion to hold some amount of down. I've had less than favorable results when trying that tactic.