Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What are the best colour for "Sunnies" in different light conditions?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What are the best colour for "Sunnies" in different light conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 04:04 PM
campbec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the best colour for "Sunnies" in different light conditions?

Hi All,

I have seen numerous threads on Zurichs and other brands of sunglasses. My question is a little more broad.

Under bright sunny conditions the "Mako" deep green glasses that are 100% UV block out and polaroid that I wear are fine but under grey cloud conditions they are no use as they just darken everything. I have read that rose or pink or amber lenses are best for these conditions. I asked my Opthalmologist this question and she said some people find amber very useful under these lighting condition but other find them distressing and they may even trigger migrane headaches. My youngest son who is a full scale pilot as well as flying R/C swears by his blue lens Bolle glasses but when I try them I don't notice much, if any, improvement over the Makos.

It is rather expensive to experiment. Obviously polariod lenses are of no use for flying R/C but 100% block out is vital. What is everone elses experience?

Cheers,

Colin
Old 03-30-2005, 05:32 PM
The Ghost

Default RE: What are the best colour for "Sunnies" in different light conditions?

Hi
I found the Oakley, with Blue Iridumn lens work for me. As your Opthalomologist said you may have to try different lens untill you find what ones suite you. Ask other flyers if you may be able to borrow theres to try for a filght and you will soon narrow down which one suites you.

Cheers.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:27 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: What are the best colour for "Sunnies" in different light conditions?

I wear glasses and use Fitovers. The amber ones do a great job in low light, I even use them when driving in fog and Wyoming blizzards--we're having one today. A number of guys at my field who don't wear glasses also use them. Best thing for you, they are made downunder.

Rich

---------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 03-30-2005, 06:54 PM
redfox435cat

Bright sunny days blue is the best, or any good shades will do. Sunsire and sunset orange. Cloudy days yello. Basically your looking for a lense the same color as the prevelent background, this cuases even forces the dominating color to cancel out
Old 03-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Go to your loal Wal-Mart and get a pair of Amber Smith and Wesson Shooters Glasses in the sporting section. They are truly amazing on an overcast day. It is literally like turning on a light. [8D]
Old 03-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Oops! [X(] Just now noticed your location so you may not have a local Wal-Mart. Maybe a hunting or outdoors type store should have them or something similar.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:23 PM
campbec

Thanks everone,

I'll give the amber ones a try.

Cheers,

Colin