Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Monokote still has quality problems!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monokote still has quality problems!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:35 PM
tarvma02
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote still has quality problems!

I bought a roll of white Monokote from Tower and it really is not like it used to be. Mainly, it's shrinkage properties are poor in that it's not pliable and that it requires an inordinate amount of heat to shrink down. By the time it finally does shrink (with the gun 1/4 inch away from the covering), it has been over-temped and has that mottled, gray/burnt appearance to it. So, I grabbed an old roll (3 years old) and it works great, just like I remember.

I've read the old threads and just wanted to get some recent experiences. So my question is: Anyone else having problems with "New" Monokote? I like Ultracote but the white's not as opaque as Monokote so I'd like to make sure this is not just an aberration and that Monokote really has changed for the worse.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:55 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Monokote still has quality problems!

As much as I hate to admit it, I have had a number of problems with Monokote just as you describe. You have always had to make sure that your application was close to wrinkle free as possible befor final shrink, however the final shrink on the newer Monokote is substandard at best. My son is finishing up a cub with Monokote and on the fuselage, the covering was pulled tight and then shrunk with the heat gun. The wrinkles that are left just will not go away and the ones that do, simply reappear in a few hours. He covered the wing with some older Monokote and had no problems at all. I am wondering if the manufactoring process has changed. I have, after well over 30 years of Monokoting switched to Ultracoat. Ultracoat is harder on the razor blades and sometimes frustrating to get right, but the end result is much nicer. I can shrink Ultracoat and wrinkles be gone and do not come back. It does cost a couple of bucks more, but in looking at the big picture, it is money well spent. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-31-2005, 11:11 PM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

I have to agree. The quality of Monokote has deteriorated greatly. It simply does not shrink like it did. In addition it will not stay tight. I am constantly heating wrinkles out. I have also found that after it has been shrunk several times it gets to the point that it won't shrink anymore. I have never tried Ultracote, but I am seriously thinking about it!

Steve
Old 03-31-2005, 11:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I switched from Mono to Ultra there was no going back, the couple of extra bucks is just money well spent. JMO
Old 04-01-2005, 12:13 AM
mcarleno

My experience with Monokote has just been over the last year. A couple of planes 2 with Monokote 1 with TowerKote. Though the TowerKote cover easily and shrunk well its not very tough. The Monokote has been very durable, but I found that you almost have to rely more on streching and minimally on shrinking. Most of my experience in cover was with Silk and Dope (20 years ago) and things needed to be pretty tight before shrinking.

I have not used Ultracoat but my next plane that is covered will be.

Marc
Old 04-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Kaos Rulz

Wasn't Monokote made by TopFlight that was was bought out by Great Planes/Hobbico? I'm wondering if these problems were inherent with the buy out, or if TF was getting behind the progress curve. We should be seeing improvements, not back-sliding. [:@]
Old 04-01-2005, 06:58 AM
chris_in_montreal
My Feedback: (1)

Yup, exactly the same problems last time i used monokote about six months back but only with white.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:30 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Just started covering an 33% Extra using Monokote. I bought 3 25' rolls to do it. The product is definitely NOT the same as a few years ago. It takes MUCH more care and heat to do than Oracover/Ultracote. I only went the Monokote route because I needed Circus Pink (lots of). I won't be repeating this mistake anytime soon.

A thing I did note - don't just keep blowing heat expecting it to shrink. Heat up and let cool down a bit. You will notice that it shrinks as it cools down. If you apply heat again and it wrinkles, heat soak a brief time and let cool again. Once it does not sag when heat is applied, the covering has shrunk as much as it will go. After it has cooled I run an iron, covered in a sock, over the entire area to ensure that it is stuck down. Warning - don't overheat Monokote.

The litmus test is to put the plane in the sun for at least 30 minutes. Any area that need attention will be visible.

Safe Flying!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:40 AM
tarvma02
My Feedback: (3)

I'm glad I'm not crazy and that Monokote really has been changed for the worse. I haven't built a plane in about three years so this was my first experience with the "post-merger" Monokote. I've covered over 100 planes and never had this problem so it's not technique. The new stuff is not so bad over solid surfaces but over stickwork, it's darn near impossible to achieve the perfect finish of yesterday's stuff.

I really hope Top-Flite is reading this right now. Please talk to your chemists and fix this stuff before the brand gets irrepairably tarnished. Likely, some sort of cost-saving measures were undertaken that had a bad impact on the chemistry. Much of the value of buying any company is in the goodwill and we, the modlers chatting in this forum right now, ARE the goodwill. If you lose us, Top-Flite is going to have a BIG problem.

I think I'm switching to Ultracote (as much as I prefer Monokote's shine and colors). I just can't risk spending 200 hours building a plane and 50 hours covering it to only have it look average. Afterall, all anyone judges your airplanes by is the finish so bad finish=bad builder in the common opinion.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Mike
Old 04-01-2005, 10:31 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using it forever, but I have also gotten a few bad rolls. Its not all of them, but here and there you get a bad batch. I have had both white and red have a problem. I used ultracote last year for the first time and if I didn't have 30+ rolls of monkeykote in the shop, I would switch alltogether. Still considering putting the whole batch on the auction, but I just don't like the color selection of other brands. I hope they get it straightened out because they won't get many more chances. Getting tired of the inconsistancies.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 PM
jwander

Try using the Faye Stilley method of application. I saw him at the Toledo Show for the second time. His method really works very well. I just finished covering the wing and the fulesage bottom for a Sig 4 Star 40. It looks like a piece of glass.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:16 PM
redfox435cat

I guess it was good thing our hobby still has some old stuff. I got the last roll of white. I guess I'll get to try the new stuff with my Up coming Sea Furry
Old 04-05-2005, 09:57 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

jwander, Whats that method? I haven't heard of it unless you are referring to the windex method.