Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

I miss my old heat gun?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

I miss my old heat gun?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 02:45 AM
deltatech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I miss my old heat gun?

I'm getting ready to cover my Top flite DC-3. My Hobbyco heat gun seems weak. It will shrink somewhat but I have to practically put the air flow on minimum and have the gun 1/2" from the Monocoat to get those last wrinkles. When I was a kid "around 1985" I had a gun that had 2 heat settings "low heat and high heat". The high heat setting ment buisness and would burn a hole in the covering very fast. I liked that gun because it was very effective but it's gone now and I suspect they don't make a "high heat" gun due to people getting burned. What do you guys suggest? Thanks. Deltatech
p.s. Are there any special handling techniques or problems with Monocoat Chrome color covering?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:16 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I miss my old heat gun?

Do not run your antenna inside the fuselage. The chrome (in most cases) radically reduces the range.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:04 AM
WMB

Mac tools sells a nice one, two settings. Made in China of course, but very effective. I think I paid ~ $30.00.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: Campy

Do not run your antenna inside the fuselage. The chrome (in most cases) radically reduces the range.
Why? There is no metal in it. Please explain.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Quick 1
My Feedback: (6)

I have a black-n-decker paid 30 dollars for it and does a great job. And it does kiwi for my boots lol. (SHINES GOOD)

PS you are ok with the chrome. The entire bottom side of my 1/4 edge is chrome and radio interference is none existant
Old 04-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Campy

I have seen 3 planes that the have had the fuselage completely covered with chrome monocote. Two of the planes had the antenna inside the fuselage and failed range tests, however, as soon as the antenna was run outside the fuselage there was no problem.

I can not say for certain it was the chrome monokote, but I strongly suspect it. In any case make sure you do a range check before flying.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:57 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
It is much better to use an iron...and Monokote chrome is not good compared to Oracover chrome.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51592.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	257845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50065.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	257846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59226.jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	257847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37607.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	257848  
Old 04-13-2005, 02:48 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

I thought I had a bad heat gun also. Bought a new one and found out it was crappy Monokote.
I use only Ultra Cote now.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:46 PM
deltatech

Thanks for all of the replies! I am planing on running the antenna from the fuse to the top of the vert stab "scale HF antenna location" so I'm sure I will have a good signal-thanks for the thought on this matter.
Hi JAKA! You have replied to my posts before and I appreciate your ideas. My firts question about Oracover is where can I get it in the U.S. Tower dosen't have it and when I do a search on the web I get everything you could want but coverting for A/C models. Also I plan on doing my DC-3 in Delta Air Lines restored DC-3 livery and want the shiny chrome finish so can I use flite metal or duct tape and get it to match the appearence of the Oracover/monocoat?
Lastly. The Black and Decker heat gun sounds like a good idea and will be readily available so I think that is the way to go. Thanks for the advice Jon Heim.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:14 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Oracover is sold in the US under different names - Ultracote is one of them. You can get it from Horizon and most LHS's.

Your experience with Monokote is similar to what quite a few people have commented on - the formula seems to have changed and now the shrinkability (is there such a word?) is not nearly what it used to be.

I got my current heat gun from Harbor Freight for $9.99, the sucker will melt through the covering in no time if you are not carefull.

Safe Flying!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:03 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
As has been said earlier..Oracover is sold under many different names in the USA. Ultracote is one. As for shiny chrome surfaces. No aircraft, polished or not , will ever look like Monokote or Oracover chrome. You have to sand the chrome surface slighly to achive to right look..even if you want a true polished aluminum look.
Using the chrome plastic films as they are are only going to make the model look like a "Plastic" toy.
Here is the DC-3 I'm modeling my model after.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89984.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	258099  
Old 04-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Bayou Talker

Most home improvement store e.g. Lowes, Home Depot etc will have a selection of heat guns to choose from. Just be careful as they are very hot on the high settings so they can be used to remove paint and other coatings and will melt Monocote. Just use the lower settings and you should be ok.