Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hobby Shops in LA?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobby Shops in LA?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:30 AM
Samoan Kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Shops in LA?

Talofa all out there from Samoa.

Help!!.

Am a New Zealander that's been in this South Pacific island for last 7 years. Great weather all year round for flying but problem is there's no hobby shop or even club here.

Need to import everything and that's my query.

Am looking at getting the Nexstar RTF to get some airtime. No instructors here so depending on flight simulator and a lot of luck.

Heaps of other people want to get into this great hobby too so intend to get a club started as well.

Anyway, US range and prices are the best so want to import direct rather than from New Zealand or Australia.

Air New Zealand has only direct airline service that connects with Samoa from mainland US- Los Angeles to Samoa, then flight continues onto Auckland, NZ.

What I'm asking is names and contact details (websites) of any good stores in Los Angeles Ca., area that could deal with myself and others here by shipping our requirements.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks-Samoan Kiwi
Old 04-20-2005, 01:03 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hobby Shops in LA?

Hello Samoa,

I made my first trip to New Zealand last August. I thought I saw a hobby shop down by the harbor in Auckland, but I didn't have a chance to visit, and don't know what types of hobby items they carry.
A couple of months ago, there was a fella from Aus who asked the same question. You should be able to do a search and find the thread. It had the name and locations of several shops to the north in Burbank and the San Fernando Valley. A lot may depend on what part of LA you are going to.
Hobby People is a chain and has a number of locations in the LA area. T & A hobbies is an independent in Burbank. There is a place called Smith Brothers. They have two locations, Northridge and Lancaster. There is Santa Monica Hobbies. I have not visited it. There is a place in Glendale called Robins. Those are the ones I know of.
You might want to ask this question in the Sepulveda Basin thread in the Clubhouse forum.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Sepu..._839955/tm.htm

The Sepulveda Basin, in the San Fernando Valley, is the location of the Apollo 11 RC Field. This is an RC field that is open to the general public. It is the home of several RC and Line Control clubs. There are a lot of LA fliers that frequent this thread.

Welcome, and I hope your visit goes well.

Scott
Old 04-20-2005, 09:09 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobby Shops in LA?

As for names and locations, there was a thread started at some RCU forum about the time of the AMA convention. A person traveling for the convention, also wanting to do some shopping. Try checking that thread.

Also, many of the smaller Mom and Pop hobby vendors ship their products internationally. This a nice percentage of their sales. For Samoa I would think that there would not be any tariff.

Wm.