Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

g26 engine mounting question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

g26 engine mounting question

Old 05-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g26 engine mounting question

I am new to gas engines and I want to mount my G26 correctly.... the 5ply, 1/4 inch plywood firewall is glued between two balsa sides; these will be strengthened with 1/4 inch balsa siding (also 1/4 inch triangle balsa along the corners). There is no plywood in the side structure. I was told to pin the sides with 1/8 inch dowel inserts (about 4 per side)..... also, since the aft firewall will be hard to get too once finished, do I use blindnuts or would regular nuts with flat washers do the trick? I feel this engine will pull itself free from the mount sides..... probably be fine but I would love some experienced input.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:02 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: g26 engine mounting question

I would add a plywood doubler like at least 1/8" onto your firewall.

Use blind nuts.

Pin the firewall.

Use plenty of 30 min epoxy.

The G 26 has a lot of power if it'll swing a 18-6 above 7500.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 05-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Navy18

Thanks for your input; do you want me to add 1/8 ply to the firwall itself or the fuse sides (or both)? Appreciate the response.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:56 AM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

I have a G-38 in the nose of a plane that only has balsa sides. I just used triagle stock in the corners and glassed the outside corners.... Been fine for 20 years....
Old 05-03-2005, 09:58 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glue the 1/8" ply to the back or the front of the firewall to keep the engine from pulling the blind nuts throught the plywood. It will also give a little more area for the side to grip.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 05-04-2005, 07:52 AM
Navy18

Sounds good; I will add a piece of 1/8 ply to the back, use blind nuts and a lock nut also. I was also told to reinforce the side area with 1/8 ply just to cover 1/2 inch in front of and behind the firewall; then pin the firewall with 1/8 inch dowel pieces from both sides; should be about 3 per side.

Do you think this is overkill? I am alittle worried about weight but the common consensus is to build a proper mount for the G26; the engine will more than make up for additional weight added onto a 9.5 lb airplane.

thanks again.