Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to remove Monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to remove Monokote

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 12:30 AM
PA44Capt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove Monokote

Hey all. I have an extra-300 that I recently aquired and it's in really nice shape but the covering job left a lot to be desired plus I would like to make some modifications to the frame. To that end, I would like to remove all of the Monokote on the airplane and start fresh. Here's the question, is there a handy way to remove Monokote without damaging the wood underneath or am I left with cutting the film away from the open areas and sanding it off the solid surfaces? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:59 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to remove Monokote

Use a heat gun on it while pulling the old stuff off. This will remove 95%+ of the covering and leave you with very little sanding to do.

To save yourself from sanding, use the same colors, or a darker color. That way any residue left on the wood will not show.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Equest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use Campy's suggestion to remove most of the film, then use acetone with a rag or paper towel to remove the remaining residue (glue). These methods should produce great results.

Equest
Old 05-06-2005, 08:16 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with all the above but would suggest that you coat all the wood with Bulsarite before covering. It takes a little more time but should insure that your new covering sticks well. ENJOY!!!!! Red
Old 05-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: red head

I agree with all the above but would suggest that you coat all the wood with Bulsarite before covering. It takes a little more time but should insure that your new covering sticks well. ENJOY!!!!! Red
Actually, unless you are using something like Coverite fabric, why add the weight ?

The MAJORITY of the PRE COLORED shrink coverings out there have excellent adhesive and do not require the balsarite or StixIt.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:08 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because it is a RECOVER job and not new wood. ENJOY!!!! Red