Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

necessary tools for scratch building ...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

necessary tools for scratch building ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 01:45 AM
decombs21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default necessary tools for scratch building ...

I don't know for sure but from I've seen all one needs for building from plans and from scratch is a bandsaw, wheel sander and maybe an electric scroll saw.

I'd sure like to hear from you folks about brands that are reasonably priced and of decent quality. That, and is there anything else a budding building dude should have in his power tool repertoire?

I'm partial, due to cost, to Delta and Craftsman but I wonder if anyone has preferences I should consider before I break the bank.

Dave
Old 05-14-2005, 07:29 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: necessary tools for scratch building ...

I have a Dremel scroll saw that I love and a Craftsman band saw that I hate. I could seriously use a belt/disk sander, but I haven't gotten around to getting one yet. For the hobyist, you might want to also consider Ryobi brand tools. They are pretty decent quality and reasonably priced. You might also want to consider a drill press too. But more important than any of that is a good set of knives, straight edges, sanding bars, clamps, and a Dremel rotary tool.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:17 AM
decombs21

Yep. A drill press AND a Dremel tool (as well as the tools you mentioned) are also on my list. I was thinking of the most necessarily needed tools to get started and what brands are best for the money.

Thanks for you input. Anyone else?

Old 05-14-2005, 12:04 PM
goboto

I can't get along without my razor saws. I have a few with different blade widths, and tooth counts.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:16 PM
decombs21

Yup. Got razor saws, sanding bars - short and long with different grits - incidence meter, level, and some clamps, you name it. I can build from a kit but am looking to build from plans and one day from total scratch, not someone else's plans or kit.

I know that Milwaukee, Mikita, and DeWalt power tools are some of the best - and most expensive. But what power tools, of lesser name, are almost as good (or as good) but not so expensive? That is the question.

And does anyone know where to get those cool clamps that I see in construction photos for a good price too? The ones I've seen around town are priced out of this world. Sheesh!

Dave
Old 05-14-2005, 12:34 PM
kdheath

I have a box full of these clamps:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK855&P=ML

as well as a variety of "C" clamps and spring clamps. The spring clamps can be found prety reasonable in hardware and home stores.

Bill Groman's site has a number of useful tips for scratchbuilding, too. Click on the hints and tips button:
http://www.classicaircraftmodels.com/
Old 05-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the Ryobi brand of power tools.

For the hobbiest they are great and the price is good. I have had one of their scroll saws for almost 3 years (and several scratch planes) and have had absolutely no problems with it.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:38 PM
decombs21

Thanks, Campy, I guess that's the question I'm asking - I should have made it clearer - what power tools for plan and scratch building have you gentlemen used and have found to be reliable and suitable to task.

Now about buying tools (Ryobi, Central Machine?) made by the Chinese is another concern; after all, recall Japan using our products in their war machine against during WWII. Why do you think our military is moving the bulk of its forces to the West Coast? Doh!

Anyone else?

Dave
Old 05-14-2005, 03:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

RCU member Cafeenman has an excellent site dedicated to building our wonderful planes. His site is full of some great building tips, but also covers what a lot of the tools needed are. It's well worth the time to spend reading up on his site. I learn something new everytime I look at his site.

You can find it at:

[link]http://www.airfieldmodels.com/index.htm[/link]
Old 05-14-2005, 06:17 PM
redfox435cat

Micomark table saw and a micromark drill press. a dremel tool with lots of attachments, a cordless screw driver with 1/4 hex shank drill bit make a great freehand percision drill.

NUMBER ONE. get a Very flat board, hollow core door. GReat planes building boards aren't bad. The differance between a good wing and a marginal wing is being built on a truly flat surface.
[link=http://www.micromark.com/]micromark[/link]

realy alls you need is a dremel tool and a good coreless drill

hobby knife and a razor saw other hand tools, good sanding block and you can do wanders. The percision tablesaw and drill press makes things really nice.

GEt a dimond blade for cutting tile, do the bathroom floor and you can justifie to cost to the wife
Old 05-15-2005, 05:14 PM
decombs21

Just a remark about my remark about power tools made in China ...

It seem it may be very difficult to buy any power tools - or anything else for that matter - that is not made in China. I just looked on the back of a new pack of #11 X-Acto blades - Made in China!

For crying out loud.

I am tilting towards Delta tools. Anyone have a bad experience with Delta?

Dave