Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

30 min epoxy vs gorilla glue....

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

30 min epoxy vs gorilla glue....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 PM
hcuellart
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30 min epoxy vs gorilla glue....

Hello guys,
Just wanted to ask you your general opinion on substituting 30 min epoxy with gorilla glue. I have been using gorilla on my Robart hinges and am very impressed on the holding power this thing has. I was thinking on reinforcing some tristock already on my firewall with some gorilla, just to go on the safe side. Any comments on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Homero
Old 05-18-2005, 11:55 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 30 min epoxy vs gorilla glue....

Gorilla glue is a great replacement for epoxy where the parts can be clamped together or in the case of the hinge, captured in the hole. If you can't clamp the pieces they will move when the glue expands and you would be better off with epoxy. Sheeting foam with balsa using Gorilla glue and either a vacuum bag or weights on the blanks is also becoming popular.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:22 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using the Gorilla Glue off and on. Works great when foam is involved. Like was said, it reacts with moisture and turns into a foam itself. You need to be able to securely hold the parts in place.

If you are gluing something with no moisture in it like foam to foam, add a little water to the glue first. I do it like mixing epoxy. Use a very small amount of water (a drop) and mix it in the glue well then apply to the area being glued. I read about doing it this way on RCU several years ago. You get a much more even distribution of the water in the glue and a more consistant joint. Something that doesn't have any moisture in it, is never going to. If you spray the water on the foam, most is going to run off except for a little drop here and there. You will find your glue job to be inconsistant without mixing the small amount of water with the glue. I've never had any trouble with this. Gorilla Glue works great this way on the popular little GW foam backyard flyers. The glue they give you in the kit doesn't work.

Enjoy.

Jim
Old 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Actually you should moisten one part (very slightly) and put glue on the other part. Don't try and add water to the glue.