Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Disappointment of the 1st kind

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Disappointment of the 1st kind

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 09:56 PM
sherm172k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointment of the 1st kind

I just bought my girlfriend her first plane (Superstar .40) and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the power of the .40 la that came installed in the plane. I broke it in just like I always do, went to the field and tuned it. It didn't rev as high as what I'm used to with other O.S.'s that I've had in the past but I figured this is an la, not a high-performance engine so maybe it revs lower. On short, freshly mowed grass the motor didn't have enough balls to move the plane at all. I pushed it forward with my foot to get it started, thinking maybe it was in a rut... no luck. Went about a foot then stopped again. I searched all over the field for a lucky spot but couldn't find any. So, back to the drawing board... I'm putting a .46AX in it now and we'll see how it flies but first I just want to know if anyone has done this before? The displacement isn't too much of a difference but it is designed to give more performance, and as I understand it the l.a. is bred more for low price and reliability than power? Is the AX too powerful to start someone out with in this plane? Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 06-04-2005, 10:14 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Disappointment of the 1st kind

You will be much happier with the AX. It is not "too much power". When you take-off from grass you need more power and bigger wheels.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:25 PM
FOD MAN

i am sure you have checked but i have seen wheel collars installed with no clearance for the wheels to turn. just like haveing the brakes set. that engine should have no problem pulling that plane into the air. but it is better to have more power incase you need it.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had a few students I taught that had planes with the 40 LA on it. While it's not a powerhouse, it is plenty of motor for that plane. it should have no problems getting it off the ground. As mentioned above, check that the wheels turned freely. Also check that the propellers is installed properly, and not back wards. I have seen this more time that I care to mention. Take some time and figure out what is wrong before dropping the money for an AX.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Old 06-04-2005, 11:56 PM
FOD MAN

I seen an engine start backwards last weekend and the fellow messed with it for two or three minutes before anyone told him.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:00 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the guys at my field likes to start his Magnum backwards and taxi his cub out in reverse. Sometimes he can just get the engine to kick and spin forwards to reverse directions. It's a hoot to watch.

As for the .40 LA, I used a .46 LA on my .40 Tower trainer, though I do fly from a paved field. When I built my 4 * 40, I reused the .46LA. The performance was lacking. When I switched from a MAS prop to an APC prop, it improved quite a bit, but was still not as much power as I wanted. I ended up with an OS .50SX for the 4 *, and put the .46LA back in the trainer. A larger wheel size and an APC prop might help you out. I would think that the .46AX will work fine in your plane. You will find it to have a lot more power than the .40LA.

Scott
Old 06-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my clubs is starting a Four Star 40 racing event, copied from some club around St. Louis, I believe. The required engine is the .40 LA, and I have seen 3 of these fly. The club furnishes the 9X6 APC prop and 10% fuel for the event. These planes taxi and navigate our grass field fine. In the air you would not mistake them for racers, but they take off and fly just fine.

I'm having trouble understanding why the original poster's plane would not move as a result of something wrong with the engine. I would first check to see if the prop is too big or high in pitch, or if one of the conditions, mentioned by earlier posts, is present.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 06-05-2005, 07:52 AM
captain_crash

Sherm,
It sounds like that you are experienced enough to know what you are doing, all the imput so far is excellent, however it may be your 40 la... A neighbor kid has a superstar OS 40 la and it works great, a little underpowered, but flys really well, we do get it to scream, the roll out is non-hesitant and quite punchy, so I am wondering about your apparent lack of rpm from the get go, our first problem from the get go was a hard right turn on the ground on rollout, turns out it was a bent back too far landing strut on the right side, once corrected like I said, it has an impressive rollout from grass and in the air in less than 150 feet......... The front nose gear plastic mounting is weak, he had to replace it once broke with a good quality nylon one... he allso extended the steering gear with a new one so it would go all the way up into the motor mounts two holes, made it good and strong, so much that it blew the firewall off in a hard landing, now of course in hindsight I wonder if Hobbico had the cheepie plastic mounting just because of this..... I'm rebuilding the front for him and have decided to go back to the short stem steering ( using the bottom hole in the motor mount only) ...... good luck with the superstar, it really is a good airplane................ Captain Crash, been thre done that..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25753.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	280565  
Old 06-05-2005, 11:09 AM
sherm172k

Thanks for responding. The wheels turn freely and the landing gear struts are straight so I think the problem is with the engine. I'm using a 10X6 prop, which shouldn't be too much for it... could the problem be with the nitro I'm using? I have been running it on 10% nitro which isn't stale, I just bought it 2 weeks ago. If I try 15%, will I see much of a difference? I run 30% heli mix through the saito in my ultra stick but I'm a little hesitant to do that in this L.A. engine. As for the A.X., I already have the engine which will be going in my ultra sport when I finish building it, so I won't be spending any extra money. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't too much for this plane. Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2005, 11:35 AM
captain_crash

sherm.....
I didn't think that you would overlook the tires/struts ect.... your mention of the low rpms said it all... I personally use 15% .. the 40LA has been flown on 15% since new.... like I said, we get her screaming pretty good and thats off of lean running..... no problems yet....... as as far as the .46 you might use, I am putting a OS 50 on a tower 40 trainer.... ( overkill I know, but I don't have a decent .40) I do not expect to use it much past 3/4 throttle if that, you just cannot get that much out of a flatwing trainer.... I am just a lazy sunday flyer and right now do not need the high performance a low wing could give me.......
Hope you get the 40 LA working up to its potential, if not I don't believe the .46 will overkill it at all.......... Manufactures tend to keep specs in a " safe zone " for all...... I never have liked being one of the cows in the field hahahahahahah later Captain Crash...
Oh BTW the neighbor kid runs a 10X6 masterscrew on his OS 40LA.......................
Old 06-05-2005, 10:25 PM
redfox435cat

it's a trainer. trainers are not meant to be powerful. I see it time and again. New student see my planes and other experianced flyers at the feild and think their own models are under powered since our models are heavly overpowered. Treat it as a trainer and use it to learn how to fly then have her get a more powerful ship when she can fly that model

Also it is an LA motor. they are not meant to be powerhouses. They are built to be long lasting sport motors for mild sport power. Have you tacked the engine at all. WHat is it really doing. should be 14-15G RPMS with a 10-6 prop.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:24 PM
campbec

Hi,

Open the muffler and remove the cone inside = instant power. Only do this if noise isn't an issue. I think these were made to pass very strict noise regulations in the UK.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 06-06-2005, 07:19 AM
poppy2

Sherm,

I am learning to fly, so I am by no means an expert. However, I also have a Superstar 40. I started out with an LA40 on it. The field I used in Atlanta was grass and the plane took of well. All take offs were with an instructor. Here in S.C. the field is also grass. Here the plane took of but seemed to be more difficult. I am convience that the type of grass has something to do with it. In Atlanta the grass was fescue and here it is centipede. I have pushed a lawn mower in both types of grass and I can tell you for sure that centipede grass will bog you down. It was just much harder to push the mower. Perhaps the same thing happens with the wheels on the plane. The instructor here suggested I put a 46AX on it and I did. The plane has all the power it needs to take off and some left. I am happy with the 46AX. If you need more power, it is there for you. I don't think it is over rated for the plane, but again I am not an expert. Get the wheels as big as you can for that plane. Hope this might help some.

poppy2
Old 06-06-2005, 09:30 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

I fly the La .46 and it has enough power to go almost vertical after take off on a falcon 56.

I use 15% Cool power,, OS 8 plug and 10x6 MAS prop. We had grass about 6" high this weekend and I had no problem flying.

Now,, did you check the plastic back plate to be sure it is tight. If it is loose and leaks air you will not have full power,, Also I would expect a 10x6 to turn ok on a trainer. The 10x6 on the La. 46 turns 11,5K which isn't what you would consider fast,, but at least enough for fun. You didn't mention the weight of your plane,, if you are in the 5 to 6 #'s on a trainer I would expect it to fly ok,, best of luck,, Jim