Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is epoxy enough???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is epoxy enough???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 09:52 AM
easymoney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is epoxy enough???

To repair the fractured ribs and doublers, is expoxy enough? Or is there any other technique to repair these .
Old 10-07-2002, 12:54 PM
jettstarblue

Default EPOXY IS HEAVY

When repairing ribs, doublers, or just about anything else, ANY glue should be strong enough. Though thin CA might be better. Put the parts together jigsaw puzzle style, and drop SMALL amounts of glue on it. Unless the parts you are trying to put back together are saturated in fuel,or oil, CA will hold just as well, and be faster, and lighter. If you can't get this to work, try saturating the parts in either rubbing alcohol, or denatured alcohol, blot dry, and then while it still is damp, mix up some 15-30 min. epoxy, a little alcohol to thin it a little, and glue your parts up.
Epoxy is heavy, It doesn't lose weight like yellow or Elmers as it dries. Glues like Sigment, Ambroid, Testors model cement for wood, also evaporate or "lose weight" as they dry. CA glue doesn't "lose weight" but it can be applied much more sparingly and acurately than epoxy. HOPE THIS IS WHAT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR, and as usual, feel free to e-mail me to discus this or other model "stuff " at length.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:04 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, I tried welding them once... just burnt up a good airplane.

(Yes, I'm joking)
Old 10-08-2002, 05:48 AM
easymoney

jettstarblue

The reason I asked this is that I had a bad landing of my super chipmunk and the landing gear wire was bent inside the wing structure. I opened up the balsa sheeting from the damaged portion and found that the 2 ribs were cracked from the front and main spar joint was loose, but the spar was not broken. Now the queation is should I use CA or thin epoxy for repair?
Old 10-08-2002, 11:36 AM
jettstarblue

Yes, Epoxy, add some microballoons or flox or milled fibreglas to give it more body. Not to discourage you but when this happened to my Astro Hog I had to open up the wing, and just fix everything. ( the gear wire kept moving eventually)
Old 10-08-2002, 12:51 PM
TerrellFlyer

microballoons are used as a filler,they will rob you of strength,use milled fiber glass for strength,on ribs use thin ca,on ribs to spar us thin then glue medium ca over thin ca to make fillet,hope this helps.
Have a goodun,John
Old 10-08-2002, 01:45 PM
hawkco66

Default CA

If the covering is opaque, use the techique of sandwiching a broken rib with to thin pieces of balsa. Glue them together with thin or medium CA.

Even if the covering isn't opaque you can do the same, but if you are concerned with perfect looks you may need to make sure your sandwich technique includes perfectly cut pieces of sheet balsa for the "bread."

hawk
Old 10-09-2002, 12:26 PM
jettstarblue

John, Your right about the microballoons reducing strength.
I thought I'd add one more here for a tip- I ordered 1 lb. of FLOX from Spruce Specialties. Milled cotton fibers, that work like micro but have the strenghth of milled f/g, (almost).
The one lb. bag was $4.00 and will list a 1/2 lifetime. You can use it for filler, to add body, and strenghth. Comes with general guidelines for use. Light and strong.
Old 10-09-2002, 01:29 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Good grief!

Don't get so damn technical! Just dab a little epoxy or medium CA on the crack and go fly your airplane. Don't add anything for strength, filler or for any other reason. Are you really worried about what a few drops of glue weighs? Unless there is MAJOR damage (IE pieces of balsa missing) you don't need to reinforce anything, just re-glue the structure and fly!
Old 10-09-2002, 09:49 PM
majesticmonkey

MinnFlyer -
Old 10-10-2002, 01:55 AM
jettstarblue

Default Gett Some Air!!

Yes, for crying out loud, just glue it, and go fly the thing! In fact cover the whole thing in duct tape, and fake zebra fur to hold it all together when you whack it, and fly it until the wings come off!!