Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Throttle Curves?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Throttle Curves?

Old 06-09-2005, 12:38 AM
HeyRobi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Curves?

Should your RPMS at half throttle be half of what they are at full throttle? I have my throttle set up so at full throttle(100%) I am turning 9500 RPMs and at half throttle (22%) its turning 4250. I have my idle at 7% on the throttle curve and it idles great. So if I have not lost you at this point when looking a my curve it reads 7,17,19,22,48,74. It seems to fly fine and throttle seems good. Iwas just wondering if this seems normal!!! It's on a Saito 82. by the way how I came up with the 22% on the 1/2 stick is I just lowered till I was turnin 4250 RPMs.

HeyRobi
Old 06-09-2005, 07:43 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throttle Curves?

In general no. While you have 9500 RPM at full throttle and have 4250 RPM at half remember that at idle you'll stiff have about 2000 RPM. So for your first half of throttle change you get a 2250 RPM increase while for the second half of throttle change you get a 4250 RPM change. What I usually do is have the the carb fully open at full throttle and just open at idle. The rest just falls where it may. It usually ends up at approx half carb open at half throttle. Just remember that half throttle is more than half the RPM's of full throttle.
Usually throttle curves are not used for fixed wing (notice I said usually). Just a normal proportional movement is ok.
Hope this makes sence.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:42 AM
HeyRobi
My Feedback: (3)

Thats a good point! So really it should be around 5750. I will set it up linear and see if its close to that.

HeyRobi
Old 06-09-2005, 10:55 AM
redfox435cat

my sport models I just leave to proportional throttle. My 3d ships I acually spend the time to set up a true linear throttle curve. This is almost manditory for helis. If you plan on going 3-d I would spend the time now learning how to really set the engine up. getting it as close to linear as posable. It does take some time and can be frustrating.

I've found the easiest way is tach the high end. Tach the idle. Divide by two. set the middle of the curve. then work in the two mid points
Old 06-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have tried two things. One is setting the engine speed so that at half throttle, the engine is running a the RPM between idle and max. Second is setting the engine speed at half throttle which is the speed that most if not all of your flying is performed.

Between the two, I prefer the later.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:05 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

My main concern when approaching the throttle linkage is the idle end of the range. I want to be able to adjust the throttle in very small increments to adjust the sink rate on final approach. Therefore I make certain that the throttle servo arm is "going around the curve " slightly near idle so as to allow smaller increments of throttle adjustment at the low end. The top 2/3 of the throttle don't need to be made in such small increments. And I don't care at all about 50% power being at half throw.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:31 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HI!
WOW! Haven't thought of that, though I have flown for 30 years...
Honestly ! Just see to that the idle works perfectly and that the engine throttles well and run good at full power...then forget about rpm at different throttle setting...Please...don't complicate things!
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden