Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Poor depth perception

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Poor depth perception

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Bayou Talker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor depth perception

A while back I read a thread by someone who was having problems with depth perception while flying. I am having the same problem and cannot find the thread. There were several suggestions on types of glasses and lenses that might help the problem.

If anyone has some suggestions or can find this thread, please let me know.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:53 PM
mulligan

Default RE: Poor depth perception

Typical aviator sunglasses will help a lot... for example Ray Bans. I happen to have Serengeti "Drivers" sunglasses for all ocassions, because I like the style. In any case, the aviator type sunglasses add much more contrast to your view, which helps depth perception. Such sunglasses can typically be worn in very low lighting conditions as well- I've actually worn them in a car at night to see the effect, and it's pretty amazing- I swear I can see a little better at night with them on.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:07 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For what its worth I have always ordered sunglasses with #3 green lens and these work extremely well for me. Have tried straight grays and several ranges of photo grays and the straight #3 green is far superior in a surprisingly wide range of light conditions. The greens are not very common in over the counter glasses.

John
Old 06-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a few guys at our field that have that problem. They seem to always want to land short, and far out from the runway. Other than the glasses, I tell them after they have made their final turn toward the runway, fly the plane straight toward you until you get close to the end of the runway. From there your mind will know where you are in relation to the runway.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Bayou Talker

My problem is not so much with landing as with orientation at distance. It is sometimes hard to determine how far out the plane is from me.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:33 AM
mulligan

quote]ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

For what its worth I have always ordered sunglasses with #3 green lens and these work extremely well for me. Have tried straight grays and several ranges of photo grays and the straight #3 green is far superior in a surprisingly wide range of light conditions. The greens are not very common in over the counter glasses.

John
[/quote]

That's interesting. I've not heard of green helping so much before. The typical aviator lenses are amber, as I suppose many have found this to improve contrast & depth perception.

I guess if you can try each, you can see what works best for you.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Campy

ORIGINAL: Bayou Talker

My problem is not so much with landing as with orientation at distance. It is sometimes hard to determine how far out the plane is from me.

Just an idea.

Why not have someone with you (at least initially ) to relate distances/heights. Use these in conjunction with landmarks that are around and in your immediate flying field/area. For instance, if there were a fence about 1/2 way between the edge of the field and the tree line, a "spotter" could tell you, "OK, the plane is xxxx feet out from you." And if you were to see that the plane was in line with a big crotch in a tree at the tree line at the same time, the spotter could also tell you how high up the plane is.

I realize that this is not a complete solution, however, between the sunglasses, a spotter and some memory work to memorize distances/heights/landmarks you have a very workable solution.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:12 PM
moodier

Hi;Many other factor too such as plane colors some are nearly impossible to maintain orientation on.Pick your color carefully watch other planes and see what colors you can see easier.Varies with different people.Stay in closer,Fly bigger easier to see planes lot of us old timers find it helps to get big planesGood Luck,Incidentally I use the Bronze colored glasses think they do help!
Old 06-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

You're definitely not alone here. I found depth perception about the most difficult thing to get a handle on, and I recorded three tree strikes trying to overcome it.

I always thought the aircraft was a lot closer to me than it was, and on final it was sometimes 60 metres wide (further out from me) of the designated runway.

I saw a tip on these forums and it put me right onto the technique. Downwind, the distance out is not all that important, but on final it is, because if you miss the runway you may hit the trees or land in the rough.

Ensure you are standing facing the runway, five metres or so from the edge, and do not move from that position, i.e., you are looking straight across the runway, 90 degrees to the runway direction. Maintain your feet position, and only swivel your body. When you have your model on base leg, fly it till you think it has gone too far, i.e., until you can just see it out to your left (flying a final left to right) and then turn final. Aim it at yourself, and you will get it on the runway every time. It only seems to be flying directly at you as it turns. As it gets closer, it will be over the runway.

This worked for me and I never had another problem. Later I could vary the technique, and fly oblique bases etc., without problems, but it was this tip that got me started.

I find sunglasses make no diffrence to perception, but they do help cut down glare, which they are designed to do, and make seeing the model easier. Seeing it is a very different problem from depth perceptin however.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Bayou Talker

I haven't had any problems landing yet, I just know that I am not seeing as clearly as I should at distance. On landing, several of the other club members thought I was in the powerlines at the far side of the field a couple of times, but I haven't hit them yet. The place where I have problems in landing are in a cross wind. I set up as S.R.A. described and a normal landing is no problem, but in a cross wind I find I have drifted almost off the runway before I realize that I am that far over and it is just a short hop over to the trees.

I have gotten some good info from Reesy on RR, as he is an optometrist, that I am going to review with my doctor and try to find something that will help before I have any problems. So far it is just an inconvenienceand not at all unsafe. As my eyes have changed very little in the last few years, it is not extremely urgent.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Bayou Talker, as far as the cross winds, your going to have to learn to use that rudder dude. A majority of people who fly only use the rudder when the plane is on the ground. Use that rudder to as we say, "Crab it in" when your on final and you'll be a lot better pilot.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Bayou Talker

The rudder use is not the problem. As a former licensed pilot, I can certainly see the value of a crab in a crosswind. It's just that in certain light conditions with a tree background I just can't tell how far I have drifted toward the other side of the field until the plane is almost on the ground and then a severe correction is needed which doesn't make for a "pretty" landing. So far I have not missed the runway, but it has been extremely close a couple of times. I haven't damaged anything yet either and I want to keep it that way.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Ernie Misner

My everyday glasses are graduated (no line) bifocals. At the field though, I am much more comfortable wearing my flying glasses that consist of straight glasses set up for distance, with a tiny bifocal close up part in the very bottom. Tell your optometrist that you fly rc and have him write you an rx that has the bifocal part set really low and out of normal vision.

Still, I have the depth perception problems too. I think an optometrist could shed some light on the difference between someone who has problems with depth and someone who doesn't. For example there is a difference between my right and left eye.

Ernie
Old 06-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Bayou Talker

Ernie,

That is my problem too. My right eye is weaker than my left. Not enough for daily activities and driving but it does show up for flying.
I have some other information from a flying Optometrist in England that might lead me to the correct prescription. It is on another forum that I can't list here, but if you want to know where, PM me and I will send it to you.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:05 PM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

as for having poor depth perception, my legally-blind left eye forces me to qualify.... landing in the grass at the far edge of the runway happens quite often enough that I've convinced myself I do it to save my prop tips from the asphalt "Fortunately" it's been this way since I'm about 3 years old, so I learned to fly this way and have compensated to a great extent.... my sympathies, it may take a LOOOOOOONG time to adjust....
Old 06-14-2005, 05:37 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had problems the first few flights at a new field, but I try to look for the shadow of the plane on the ground in relation to some obvious items that can give you a hint. Also, stay away from a solid color on your plane. I especially had problems with a couple all red planes, especially on suny days.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:01 AM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have problems too. I am now wearing Polorid prescription glasses that have little bifocal on the bottom. Some days they are wonderful and some days they aren't. I've come to the conclusion that the time that I take my "wonder medicines" and the time that I fly are an influencing factor on my depth perception. I always take my medicines in the morning. If I fly after 2:00 pm my depth perception is pretty good. If I wait until after 5:00pm it is much better. In the morning it is terrible. I'm 63 years old. Been flying for over 30 years.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:36 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Its not you. The human eyeball just isn't that accurate at judging distances as far away as we fly.

I did wear RayBan glasses for years because they were great in low light and overcast conditions. But they did tend to fool me and make my plane look closer than it really was. After landing in the same tree, and on the exact same branch two times in about 4 years, I quit wearing them.

Campy hit it on the head. Start out using landmarks. And if you have to come in over obstacles watch for your shadow. Keep a sliver of blue sky between your plane and the tree line, (or any obstacle) until the plane is obviously past it. And realize this. If you are looking up at the top of the tree line AND you always keep a sliver of daylight between the plane and trees, you can still descend and maitain that bit of daylight.

Just remember that your eyes weren't designed for this. You can't always trust them. Use techniques that prove the plane has past the obstacle before descending.

I attached a diagram of a parking lot we flew out of on weekends. Light poles and trees surrounded us. It was slightly less than 300 feet from curb to curb. But we got used to it and actually enjoyed it very much. And believe it or not, about 3 dozen folks learned to fly there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83475.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	285198  
Old 06-15-2005, 09:54 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I found that polarized lens really helped me. My polarized sunglasses are perscription and they really help with contrast.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Bayou Talker

I have been flying RC for several years and I know all of the normal tips that you guys have mentioned. That is why I have been able to make the runway and not wreck a plane yet. I have just noticed lately that my vision is not as sharp as it once was. It is nowhere near bad enough to need glasses for normal activities, but it might just help for what we do. My current polorized glasses that I have been using cause a distortion around the edges that makes orientation difficult. Since I obviously need to buy a new pair of sunglasses, I might as well get some with any corrections made to make my vision as good as possible. From what information I have gathered, I need to buy a pair that are corrected for 20/20 or better at distance and corrected for spatial localization. These should be polycarbonate with an anti-reflective coating and in a medium tint possibly in green.

I am planning to visit my optometrist soon to discuss it with him. I hope it works!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:09 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One of our local flyers does very well, even in spot landings at fun flies. It was something of a shock to find out that he lost 100% vision in one eye in a baseball game when he was a kid.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:00 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I just bought glasses myself. I guess everyone is getting older, huh ?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:52 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YUP !!!!!! ENJOY !!!!! RED
Old 06-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

It is amazing how a thread can get off topic so quick.
#3 green lenses huh...... DO they make a #4?
Would that be better?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:58 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not necessarily off topic. the question dealt with depth perception. many things including color of lenses, polarization, brand name glasses, medications, age are a part of depth perception. seeing a qualified doctor and having your vision checked and possibly improved so that depth perception is not an issue when flying is also valuable information. i, personally, am grateful for all the information that was passed on. never even heard of green lenses 'till now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.