Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

interference tracking device ???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

interference tracking device ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 06:59 PM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interference tracking device ???

Does anyone know of a mobile (portable) tracking device that can be used to track down malicious radio interference.... Our flying field seems to have developed an issue where the first flight of the day is OK then after about 5 minutes of flying we start getting hit on almost all channels. There are no high power lines in the area and this just started happening in the last few weeks. It seems that when you first get to the site a range check proves just fine but as soon as some one goes airborne we all start getting hit and no one gets better that ~30' range before servos start twitching. If you turn your transmitter off then the servos go silent. This would lead a person to believe that perhaps a scrambler of some sort is in the area and not just a transmitter ???? Any ideas ????
Old 10-12-2002, 07:19 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Hits

Can you try a different site just for a test? It seems more likely to me that there may be a problem with the radio equipment not the site. Have the radios and RXs checked. It is possible that one radio (might not even be yours) is throwing out junk that causes the other radios to have problems. I've seen that before... everyone gets hit until the offending TX is turned off. Do the hits effect both PPM and PCM Rxs?

As for locating the interference, I know of no commercially available hand held device available to the public, but one may exist. If you know someone that works for the FCC, maybe you could get someone from a monitoring station to come out. Also, a local HAM operator might have something you could use.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:26 PM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

Default interference tracking device ???

We have two sites available and it only happens at one site in particular and it does not matter if only one person is there or 20. After the first flight it goes to sh*t. It does not seem to affect the PCM as bad or AM it only gets the FM guys. Last week we did a test with 10 diff. planes and guys and frequencies and radio brands etc...all with the same result. We also contacted the FCC and they said they would not do any tracking as it was not a matter of any danger to the public.... When asked if she would like to take a 30 # plane to the head at 100 MPH she thought we were being smart a##es and that did not help. SHe did state that if we found the offending device they would send out a field agent to shut it down.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:35 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Default Interference Tracking device

Guys,

Some of the guys at my field are using the IC-R2 frequency scanner (go to www.icomamerica.com) before each flight. It costs about $155 at www.gigaparts.com. You should suggest your club coordinator to get a few. I think it's a good deal for flight assurance. I have been looking at the IC-R3 model and thinking about getting one. With the IC-R3, you can view the strength of the noise on your channel (sort of a poor-man's spectrum analyzer). It cost about $340. Chances are, you will always find some low-level noise at all channels. RC radios will output high enough signal to override the noises (it still depends on how far between your tx and rx). In theory, PCM rx, particularly, will mask the signal and disregard most noises better than FM and AM rx. Now-a-day we have millions of RF signals in the air, PCM or not, I doubt if it matter. I just crashed my beloved antique Pacific Ace last weekend due to signal interferrence. My plane just kept going straight and smooth until it was out of sight. Moments later it decided to come back and crashed onto a tree in the park behind our field. All of the radio gear checkout okay; it even passed the range check afterward. I have a Futaba 8AUP (PCM) by the way. I almost cry!!!