Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

assembling and joining foam wings

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

assembling and joining foam wings

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 02:12 AM
thexfiles
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default assembling and joining foam wings

can anyone give me some tips on joining and assembling foam wings. i was fortunate to find a pair for a project i'm working on but there are no instructions on how to join the wings or install spars, servos, etc.
the plane is a 4 * 60 so the wing is quite large.
i know that you have to sheet the entire wing or just the leading edges and add cap strips etc but what is the best way to put them together so they don't come apart and they support the aelerons and servos.
i can remember reading about it in a model airplane magazine and they went so far as to cut out the sections between cap strips but do you think i can find that article.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:53 AM
$ircra$halot

Hi Thexfiles: I would suggest you try dbalsa.com (dynamic balsa). However I just tried it and it did not come up. I have found the info. you need there before, as I am going to buy a foam wing for my tiger 2 and got them to send me a price for the entire set-up. I'm tired of having the weeds slapping holes in the top of my wing. Of coarse the alternative would be to mow more often, NOT!
Old 10-15-2002, 11:49 AM
thexfiles

Default dbalsa.com

i tried that web site yesterday. couldn't get on either, even though i was able to get on a couple of days ago.
i went through a bunch of my old magazines last nite and saw some planes with foam wings.
in a lot of cases they simply glued the two wing sections together w/ a brace in the center section. they covered them in a number of ways, including 1/64 plywood or 1/16 balsa. some wings were covered completely and others had the leading edge and trailing edge covered w/ cap strips.
i would think that for a 72" wing w/ a 12" cord i would like a spar on each wing.
i'm going to try the dbalsa web site again later today.
btw: it may be simpler to cut the weeds or stay on the landing strip.
cheers
Old 10-15-2002, 12:17 PM
$ircra$halot

Hey Thexfiles: Roger, on cutting those weeds, but the weed eater is on the fritz, guess it won't become an airplane anytime soon. I got out to pull some, but I have steel in my lower back and they ganged up on me. I E-mailed dynamic balsa a few weeks ago to get a price on the tiger 2 wing kit, if I can find their reply I may be able to get you a phone # for them. I will be off line for the next few days though.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:56 PM
thexfiles

Default foam wings

thanks, i appreciate that.
i just searched "foam wing" on msn search.
found some really good stuff there.
all of the articles showed sheeting the entire wing w/ 1/16" balsa.
one of the writers argued that an entire wing sheeted w/ 1/16" balsa is equivalent to ten 1/4 by 1/2 spars.
they sheeted the wing completely and put it 1/2" dowels where control horns, etc located.
i emailed a couple of them and am hoping to get some more info.
bill
Old 10-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys" For a solid foam wing, sheet the 2 halfs then butt glue them together with the proper dihedral with epoxy. Wrap the centre section with a 6 in wide piece of 6 oz glass cloth and stick it down with finishing resin. If your going to push it hard put on a second layer 3 in wide although you probably don't need it.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:27 PM
thexfiles

Default foam wing

no spars or dihedral brace?
Old 10-16-2002, 01:42 AM
Flypaper 2

No spars or dihedral brace needed. The strength is in the glass and skin. If you want to build a lighter version. Hotwire grooves top and bottom to accept 1/4 in sq spars. Sheet from leading edge back to halfway across the spar. put 1/2 wide capstrips from spar to trailing edge.1/4 in vertical trailing edge spar. 1/16 by 1 in balsa on top of foam and rear spar. Poke .020 wire down through foam between capstrips. Wire about 6 ins long with small clamp on each end hotwire out the squares. Built many scratch builts this way.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:39 AM
thexfiles

thanks gord;
on a 12" cord how wide are the leading edge sheets?
bill
Old 10-16-2002, 12:09 PM
Flypaper 2

On my Bushwacker, double tapered, swept back, L. E. slot, 12 ins at root, 4 inwide sheeting at root.51in span, 3/16 sq spars.