Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering Foam

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Dave_ORCC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering Foam

Hello All,

I'm currently working on a small F-16 that is made entirely of white foam. StyroFoam, go figure.[&:] High density stuff, unlike the typical stuff you see cradling your new stereo equipment but, foam nonetheless. Honestly not sure how long this plane will last but, we'll give it a go anyway. So, considering that it might not last that long, I'm looking for a quick and dirty way of finishing it. Was considering paint but, can't seem to locate anything that won't melt the foam and still be fuel proof. Am now considering covering it with film so I was hoping someone out there could be specific and let me know which covering works well at a low temp so I don't melt the foam putting it on. If someone knows of a good paint that might work I'd still consider painting it.

Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 07-14-2005, 07:56 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Covering Foam

I have covered foam with monocoat but it takes a lot of patience and heat control. I also used Black Baron low heat film with good results. There are some other low heat films out there but I don't remember them, one was Solor film I think. The main thing using film is to be real carefull with your heat. Another point to watch is the color you use ---- some film colors require more heat then others and some transmit the heat quicker. Try some film ( what ever ) on some old foam ( like the packing foam ) and if it works there it will probably work on your plane. Just be real carefull with the heat. I don't see why mono coat wouldn't work, it did for me and they said I couldn't do it. Good Luck !!!! ENJOY !!!! RED
Old 07-15-2005, 05:48 AM
Flypaper 2

Another good covering material I use straight on foam is Doculam, obtainable at Staples. A stickyback clear film that can be heat shrunk and stretched at low temp, 200 degrees F on the iron. I paint on directly with no problems but try a test piece with fuel proof paint. The brand name at Staples is Opmark.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:15 AM
Paternguy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact/shelving paper from the local hardware store works great, it is self adhesive and comes in many colors.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:53 AM
redfox435cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USe the econoKote or towerKote for foam. IT takes less heat to get it to shrink so there is less chance to damage the foam.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:37 AM
Dave_ORCC

Thanks for the advice guys,

Well, I had already decided on a scheme and I looked in my box of covering remnants and discovered I already had enough material in the colors I needed!! Great I didn't have to spend any more money. I was trying to keep my investment as low as possible on this plane so I grabbed my iron and set to work. Monokote and Ultracote was what I was using so a little experimentation and patience and next thing I knew it was very early in the morning [X(] and it was almost finished. Finished up the next day and have since gotten about 8 flights on it. Flies nice and looks pretty good IMHO.

Thanks again for the advice,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88528.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	300136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60134.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	300137  
Old 07-22-2005, 05:42 PM
red head

Looks great, glad you were able to use the mono etc. instead of buying more. As I said it can be done you just have to take your time. Suggestion: double check your overlaps with the heat gun. Sometimes when you are being carefull like that you don't really get good seals. ENJOY !!!! RED
Old 07-22-2005, 08:29 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Is that a Combat Models kit? It looks great![X(]
Old 07-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Dave_ORCC

Vicman,

Yes it is the Combat Models kit. I've since learned that there are two versions, one big, one small. This is the smaller, less scale version. So far I'm enjoying it (12 flights) but, am trying to track down some engine issues. Got a 25FX on it and I'll soon be trying it with a tuned pipe and higher nitro content. Already hums along fairly well but, hoping for a little more speed.

Red & Vicman, thanks for the compliment, and yes Red I've gone over the overlaps a few times to (hopefully) ensure they are sealed tight.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 07-24-2005, 07:36 PM
vicman

.25 FX??? I am putting an MVVS .40 on mine.[>:] I have most of the glassing done waiting for another spurt of building to finish it. I really haven't decided on what scheme to use. We have the same bird.[8D]
Old 07-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Dave_ORCC

MVVS .40, too cool!! Did you find that it'll fit allright? I was flying mine on the week-end at an event and most there said that it was telling them to put a .46 on it. I'd love to hear how it goes with the .40. I might do a retro-fit later on and see how it handles it. With the .25 mine took a fair bit of tail-weight. If you haven't done so already you might want to channel out some foam just ahead of the "tail-cone" area to house your battery pack. I also had to put some lead back there too. Just to confirm we have the same kit, mine has a winspan of 48". Post some pics, would love to see yours.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 07-25-2005, 07:47 AM
vicman

Yeah, we have the same one. This is the only pic of mine so far. You can see the front end is whittled out pretty good to handle the Czek beast. If you look closely you will see two of these in the second pick. The red one is set-up as a sloper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65188.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	301174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15861.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	301175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37895.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	150.7 KB