Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

scroll vs band

Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scroll vs band

I am looking at getting a saw for building RC. For general uses what is better a scroll or band saw? I build mainly from kits but might start scratch building one day. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each for RC use?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: scroll vs band

Bandsaws are very useful tools, but you can't make an inside cut with them (like the openin in a former). If I were you, I'd go for the scroll saw first, then get the bandsaw when you can afford it.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:35 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have both a scroll saw and bandsaw, (both Delta, BTW) and use them pretty much interchangeably for modelling in the size I work in (up to 1/4 scale). It's easier to cut tight curves and intricate pieces with the scroll saw, and thick pieces and long straight lines are easier with the bandsaw. If you need to cut openings, such as the "inside cut" on a fuselage former, then a scrollsaw is mandatory. You drill a pilot hole, take the blade loose from the top arm, stick it through the pilot hole, reattach the blade, and complete the cut. Can't do that with a bandsaw.

The other thing to consider is the "relief", or distance between the blade and the top arm support; on tabletop models, the scroll saw usually has more relief than a bandsaw of the same general size, allowing you more room to cut long pieces across the short dimension.

Scrollsaw blades are, for the most part, thin and delicate, where you can get bandsaw blades in several thicknesses, as well as metal cutting blades. If I could have only one, I'd probably go with the scroll saw, just to be able to cut fuse formers and wing ribs- the tight corners.

I like my Delta saws, both tabletop models, about $200 each.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:36 PM
dicknadine

you should start out with a Jig/scroll saw. it will do justa bout anything you may want, in thin thickness's. perfect for balsa, different tooth sizes are available, fine to course. also its a table top tool and doesn't take up much room. the band saw is a productuction type tool, cuts thick blocks, good for ripping blocks into sheets. they both have their place in your shop- start with the scroll/jig saw. dick
Old 07-27-2005, 08:21 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is a saw I built using a hand jigsaw. There was an earlier thread on this about six months ago. It can cut tight curves with a thin blade or track straighter curves like a bandsaw if one uses a broader blade. Not as smooth or quiet as the other two choices but not bad for a homemade unit.
Allan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29901.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	302455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72572.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	302456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17666.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	302457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44991.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	302458  
Old 07-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend the scroll saw first. As the people above have mentioned, you can not do inside cuts or sharp corners with a band saw.

I have a Ryobi I bought at Home Depot for $99.00 I have had the saw about 4 years now and am completely satisfied with it. The clearance between the table and the arm (max cutting height ) is 2 5/8". I usually use 20 tpi (teeth per inch) blades for balsa with the speed set on high. Cuts the balsa and lite ply easily with no "fraying" and it will handle 3/4" maple (slowly of course) with no problems.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both and use the bandsaw 99% of the time as it is faster, more accurate for straight cuts and will handle heavier material better. Before getting the scroll saw, I could always cut the inside holes quite easily with a hand powered coping saw so, if I could only have one, it would be a two wheel 16 inch bandsaw. I build lots of big models though, so if I built only 40 size or smaller, the scroll saw would do me fine.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:39 PM
flipstart

I have both type saws (delta) and as stated above, get the scroll saw first. Get a heavy scroll saw to minimize vibration, as with most tools, cheap is not usually better. The Delta uses a clamping method for blades, there are wide blades available, try Olson blades, good quality and you can get fairly straight cuts when needed.

Clamp a wood piece on table for a fence for straight cuts. If you have a belt/disc sander, then you can smooth out cuts and get by fine. Same finishing is required using the band saw it just faster on thick woods, I had mine left over from wood working or I would just be using a scroll saw.