Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Muffler Extension Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Muffler Extension Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 06:33 AM
DBono99
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Extension Problem

Hi All I need to extend my muffler on my Irvine 40..Here 's the problem I need to cut the extension piece about 3/4.. I can cut and drill this out . Question is where do I get Metric Screw's that are 3mm and longer then 50mm.

I do have the a Dubro short extension piece, but need it just a little longer.THat came with 3mmx50mm screw's.. I'm going to need just a little more in the length.. So far I haven't come across then?

Thanks Dan
Old 07-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Muffler Extension Problem

I recently had a similar problem (needed 3 DuBro extensions to clear the fuselage ).

How I solved the problem was:

1. Get a length of 3mm threaded rod. They usually come in 3' or 1 meter lengths for under $10. I had to mailorder mine since none of the local hardware stores had any.

2. Get 4 3 mm nuts.

3. Double nut at one end of the rod. Make sure you use HIGH TEMP threadlocker OR solder the nuts together. Use your dremel and cut a slot about 2/3 of the way through THE TOP NUT ONLY for a screwdriver.

4. Cut the rod to the length you need.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:01 PM
pt19 flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi

I have had this problem on a model some time back and what I did was choose an american tap a little larger than then metric screw and retap the muffler for the american screw. to this slowly and carefully on the aluminum.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 glyer
Old 07-30-2005, 06:39 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Double check your phone book for a shop in your area that supplies nuts & bolts to local shops (mechanics), if you find one go to the shop, don't call, and see if they can help. I did this in El Paso once and not only got what I needed but a couple other things and they didn't even charge me, Of course I had to stay and talk RC for an hour. ENJOY !!! RED