Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

sheet metal screws

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

sheet metal screws

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 05:44 PM
hobbyenthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sheet metal screws

what can i use in place of sheet metal screws to hold an engine to a glass-filled mount. i really dont like tryin to screw in the self tapping screws because it is too difficult and they kepp stripping.also, where can i get the replacements?
also again. what consistency should hobbylite balsa filler be; should it be like a paste?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:46 PM
flipstart

Default RE: sheet metal screws

I always carefully mark holes for the engine screws, drill and tap holes for 4-40 or 6-32 allen head machine screws-do not know why they send the sheet metal screws with a mount. On the balsa lite-I use it straight from jar as it comes and add a few drops of water as necessary depending on the fill application.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:48 PM
redfox435cat

use a bolts with a lock washer and 2 nuts x4. I belive 6-32 fits nicley You'll need an engine mount that is square. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ772&P=ML]engine mount[/link]
Old 08-11-2005, 06:55 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

What size engine? I have never use screws to mount an engine, that's what they make 4/40, 6/32, 8/32, 10/24 or 10/32 Allen head machine bolts for. A little heavier? Yes, but the security with nylon lock nuts is unbeatable. Best part is you can get them at your local hardware store they usually also have the correct pilot drill bits and taps on hand. Of course I have accumulated all of that stuff already Your LHS should carry these parts also and sometimes the prices are better than the hardware store. If the bolts are too long I just cut them off with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Hope this helps ya.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drill the holes all the way through the mount and use socket head bolts with washers and stop nuts (the ones with the nylon insert in them).

Up to and including a 60 you can safely use 6-32. Much over a 60 size 2 stroke I would opt for 8-32 bolts. The 8-32 may seem like overkill on a 91, but better safe than have the engine come loose (or worse, come off)
Old 08-11-2005, 10:00 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! for once in my modeling career I am in total agreement. Socket head caps and double nuts. I had a .40 LA fall out of a plane once due to broken screws.[sm=stupid.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Yep, a pretty interesting dead stick.[8D]