Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Recovering fuel soaked plane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Recovering fuel soaked plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:25 AM
neilf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovering fuel soaked plane

I'm fairly new to all this, but I have been given an old plane constructed of balsa and ply which has had all the covering removed. The area around the engine has been extensively soaked by the spilled fuel and exhaust over time. The plane came with a couple of rolls of Oracover which I would like to recover it with. Is there any (magic?) way to successfully adhear the new covering, and paint, to the fuel soaked areas? Thanks---Neil.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:15 AM
Runway

Default RE: Recovering fuel soaked plane

If the wood is badly fuel soaked, consider replacing it, (especially if it is on or near the firewall) - the fuel soaking will have weakened it. IMHO the risks of flying something which is structurally unsound just aint worth it.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:00 AM
Dr1Driver

Definitely consider replacing any wood that seems soft from the soaking. You can use K2R on the remaining pieces. spray a coat, let dry, then brush it off. The first couple of coats will not dry completely. Continue to do this until the whole area dries completely. You can also drip thin CA into the wood after the K2R treatment. This will strengthen it a lot. Even after treatment, you may still have trouble getting the new covering to stick.

Let an experienced R/Cer inspect the repairs before you cover it.

Dr.1
Old 08-25-2005, 12:40 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

K2R carpet cleaner is the ticket.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:59 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A heat gun like you use for covering will help wick the oil to the surface, K2 R works well, if you hold Any doubts about the wood, replace it. Treat the areas inside and out with Balsarite. 3 coats will fuel proof the wood, and assist in getting the covering to stick. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:19 PM
hhhhhhhhh
Banned

just replace it it will save ur plane in the long run aswell(if it lasts that long)lol
Old 08-28-2005, 02:43 AM
neilf

Thanks guys. Today I removed the rest of the old covering around the "affected area" and was pleased to find that it appears that the area had in fact been treated with fuel proofer of some sort and there is actually fairly minimal fuel soaking of the structure. Obviously I would like to clean it up properly before recovering and would like to try the K2 R carpet cleaner but I'm not sure we have a product by that name here in New Zealand. Does anyone know what the key ingredient in it is? Would any solvents be satisfactory, eg MEK, thinners, white spirits, etc?