Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tiger 2 hole for nosegear wire on wrong side

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tiger 2 hole for nosegear wire on wrong side

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 11:39 AM
BlackRider
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 2 hole for nosegear wire on wrong side

If anybody has seen my messages in the beginner's forum it has been a challenge for me to complete the build on my Tiger 2 ARF. I've just never been good at this kind of thing but I've been pushing ahead because I love to fly. (Though I came close to giving up once already.) Anyway, I'm now to the point of the build where I'm adding the nosegear to the plane. Since it is steerable there is a wire that runs back to the rudder servo. The hole on the plane for the wire is on the opposite of where the directions say it should be. Looking further though the manual, they suggest to place the servo for the rudder on the opposite of the plane from where the wire will come out. This is because the tube for the wire going back to the rudder itself is on that side. So, I'm not sure of the best way to correct for this problem...do I try to drill a whole for the nosegear wire on the correct side of the plane? Do I try to move the servos around to accomodate the difference and thereby also have to switch sides for both the elevator and rudder control horns (already mounted)? Or can I just try to bend the nosegear wire over to the correct server?

If anybody has run into this issue, please let me know the best way to proceed. It's frustrating to come so far and run into a problem with the directions. (Unless I'm reading something wrong...again.)

Thanks for your help!
BR
Old 09-04-2005, 12:18 PM
kdheath

Default RE: Tiger 2 hole for nosegear wire on wrong side

Let's see if I can do this in words. This is for an up-right engine, high wing, trainer type model. Follow me through....What I do, FWIW:

#1) Mount the throttle servo on the same side of the fuselage as the throttle arm on the carb. That way the throttle pushrod is a straight shot to the carb. This will be on the right side on all the usual engines.

#2) Mount the elevator servo in the middle of the group of three. Work out the straighest possible run for the pushrod.

#3) Mount the rudder servo on the remaining side. Run the nose wheel steering pushrod along the inside of the fuselage to the nose gear. It will connect to the servo output arm nearest to the fuselage side. Then connect the rudder pushrod to the inside half of the servo output wheel. Again, work out the strightest run, making sure the elevator and rudder pushrods don't snag on each other.
So what you get is: the rudder servo rotates clockwise. One side pushes forward and turns the nose wheel to the right, while the other side of the servo arm is pushing the rudder pushrod back, giving right rudder. Just the opposite for left turns.

Make sense? When you look at the firewall, the throttle pushrod and steering pushrod are on opposite sides, with the throttle pushrod on the left as you look at the firewall. The rudder and steering pushrods run down the same (left) side of the fuselage.

This is all much easier if you do it before covering the plane, BTW. Lots of beginners make that mistake.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:18 PM
BlackRider
My Feedback: (2)

Thank you for the response KDHeather. Unfortunately, it looks like it's much worse than I thought. It looks like all the holes on the firewall are completely backwards. The hole for the write connecting to the engine is on the wrong side. Plues the holes for mounting the engine are shown to be offset to the right but on the plane they are offset to the left. I think at this point I'm going to try my luck at returning the plane under warranty.

Thanks again
BR
Old 09-04-2005, 02:25 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Then it really sounds like the firewall was glued in backwards. Just drill new holes in the proper locations and plug up the old ones. It will be much easier and faster than trying to return it. Plus you won't have to deal with things when the new one is the same way...
Old 09-04-2005, 07:05 PM
kdheath

ORIGINAL: BlackRider

Thank you for the response KDHeather. Unfortunately, it looks like it's much worse than I thought. It looks like all the holes on the firewall are completely backwards. The hole for the write connecting to the engine is on the wrong side. Plues the holes for mounting the engine are shown to be offset to the right but on the plane they are offset to the left. I think at this point I'm going to try my luck at returning the plane under warranty.

Thanks again
BR
Are the holes off-center or is the firewall at an angle? The engine on a typical high wing model should be set for about 2 degrees of right thrust to compensate for torque, P-factor and some other issues. Then the mount is set off-center a tiny bit to center the propellor hub with the noce of the plane. It is possible to shim the mount if it's off. If the cable outlets aren't in the right place, drill some new holes and pull new cable housings.

When I say right thrust here, I mean the right as if you were sitting in the cockpit.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

I believe there was a known issue with them at some point about the firewalls being glued in backwards which puts the throttle and steering cable exits on the wrong sides. Just redrill the holes or better yet make it a tail dragger and forget the front wheel altogether.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:53 AM
kdheath

ORIGINAL: Robotech

I believe there was a known issue with them at some point about the firewalls being glued in backwards which puts the throttle and steering cable exits on the wrong sides. Just redrill the holes or better yet make it a tail dragger and forget the front wheel altogether.
OK, that makes more sense. I'm familiar with the CG Tigers but not the ARF versions.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:26 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

The tiger 2 is not a high wing trainer. That point aside, do as kdheath suggested, and make it a tail dragger. You'll get better experience from it anyway. The holes are already predrilled for the main landing gear--but I believe you'll have to purchase those gear separately. The tail gear is also pre drilled, and the blind nuts are already installed for the sullivan tail gear assy. The throttle might or might not have to be moved, depending upon whether or not it is a four stroke engine (a lot of four strokes have their throttle hookup on the left side, or are reverseable!)
Also, you could use a sullivan golden rod (flexible) for the throttle, and run it through any hole you wish, so long as it exits the firewall behind the throttle arm.

Plug the old holes with dowells and start over. HOwever, if the blind nuts are already installed for the engine mount, you might have a tough time installing new ones, as sometimes it is hard to get up inside of these planes (I dont' think that plane has a tank hatch).

Call CG and get a replacement is another option. I'd just ask for a replacement of the fuse, though, if I'd already glued the wing together!

Just some more suggestions. Good luck with it.

CG usually makes very good products. Sounds like you might need some help from a club friend???