Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
To build or fly? >

To build or fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

To build or fly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To build or fly?

Does anybody else really like to build as much as they like to fly? I have always enjoyed building as much as I have flying, and here lately I think I enjoy it more. Does anyone else fall into that category? James Goss
Old 01-12-2002, 04:13 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default To build or fly?

I easily enjoy building as much as flying (not counting covering). There is something theraputic about cutting, sanding, and gluing balsa into a nice looking ship.

I used to build plastic models. The problem with those is that when you're done you can't play with them more. With our hobby we get to build and then play with our creations.

The only other hobby I've had that was almost as much fun was Beer Brewing. You got to create and then drink your creation. :-)

- Spike
Old 01-12-2002, 05:20 AM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Yep....Building is 90%!

I can't fly as much as I can building - so I enjoy building much more. I don't get too excited when the forcast for the weekend is rain, wind, etc. because I know I'll get in 16-20 HOURS worth of building! Not enough hours in a day to satisfy my building 'habit'

Can't fly at night either!!!

Jerry
Old 01-12-2002, 05:24 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default To build or fly?

I Like both equally.

If I havnt built a plane in a while ( like now ) I start really wanting to.

Now that I have to deal with winters again I will probably not build in the summer and build when its too cold to fly.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:53 PM
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To build or fly?

I was disillusioned into thinking I would really be good at building, only to discover frustrations I never knew before. These frustrations have kept me looking at ARF's for the time being. It just was not as relaxing for me, as I read it is for many of you.

I would still like to learn to be a quality builder, but much prefer to fly right now.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:05 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BOTH!

I like both - equally. I love to build - I started building 40 years ago when I tried to teach myself CL. I got the hang of it on about the fifth plane. Building today is much easier than it was back then. I also love to fly - so I gotta keep building. The problem is I tire of the old stuff so I am always building something new. Either way, it is a great hobby - building or flying.

Dan

PS: Yes you can fly at night. I have attended the KW meet in Kitchner Ontario the past 5 years and they always have a night flying demo. One more thing I want to build as soon as I can fit it in.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:29 AM

Default both

I enjoy building and then flying what I build. Last year I didn't think I'd have time to finish a project in time for our flying season so I bought an ARF CAP 232. It's OK but not the same as a home built.

Can't have a say in what goes in to them either like a kit or scratch. I like scratch better since kit wood usually needs help and alot of the hardware does too.

What I really like is a nice fabric and dope finish. (My wife doesn't thoght.) Coverall on a model is like armor plate. Also, I like to choose color schemes and sometimes mix custom colors. (Shrink wrap is for sandwiches)

Cheers,
Tony

BTW/ Our club is very active and has two "Night Flys" every year. One in May and on in October. We use chem lights on the planes and also put a line of them down the center line of the runway. You should see a funfly 3D go vertical and roll at night. Just a blur of light. Check out our web site at www.lcrcc.com
Old 01-15-2002, 07:41 PM

Default Building over Flying

Think I have to give building the nod over flying. No stress, travel or time constraints associated with building. They get done when they're done. Don't have to pack up all the crap and planes and kids and coolers etc. to do some building. Don't crash anything while building. Never have to worry about getting all the way out there and forgetting something. Never have to discover that after the 30 minutes to pack up (kids included) then drive another 30 minutes and arrive, only to find a 30 knot cross wind at the field.

If I get a spare few minutes, I just slip down into the basement and enjoy the process. I can, and usually do, daydream about flying while I'm building...which can be a whole lot less stressful than trying to squeeze a few hours of flying into a weekend when the wife and kids have other plans for dads free time.

I think you get the idea.

PS...covering is my least favorite thing to do also, but if I have enough time to get into the zone....time flys!
Old 01-15-2002, 10:01 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default To build or fly?

Well I guess I enjoy the building more then I do the flying. It's much easier for me to go to the shop then it is the field because of a disability that can make transporting everything needed to the field a major under taking.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:37 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Default To build or fly?

I enjoy building and flying equally.... Before I go flying I always ask myself the question: "Are you willing to crash today?" If the answer is yes... because it can happen at anytime even to the most careful of flyers... I go fly.... If the answer is no.... I build...

Even if I go and fly and crash... I get to build again... So I can't really loose. It's a little bit of a bummer to fly-crash-repair-fly-crash-repair a plane in the same week.... Don't think I'll fix that one again....

The hardest time I have is staying balanced between my family, my hobby and my job.... Right now my hobby is winning and taking a toll on the other important things in my life....

Moderation has never been one of my strong points.....
Old 01-19-2002, 11:23 PM

Default To build or fly?

It’s hard to keep everything in perspective when it comes to building model airplanes. They have a way of taking over your life if you let them, so I know what you are talking about. Modeling was beginning to impede my work ethics so I had to give it up, work that is. I retired last June so I can spend all the time I like building and flying model airplanes. Should have done it ten years ago. James Goss
Old 01-20-2002, 12:43 AM

Default To build or fly?

Wow James .... I wish I could quite my job and retire.... But I still gotta work for a living... bummer... I checked out your site... Pretty cool stuff!!

Well, at least I have something to look forward too....
Old 01-20-2002, 03:24 PM

Default To build or fly?

Paul, that is a really nice wasp you have, especially the wasp logo. How did you do the border around the wasp? James Goss
Old 01-20-2002, 04:24 PM
My Feedback: (117)

Default Building/ Flying

I like to fly....I've been building models since about 1952..."A LONG TIME"...I have lost all interest in building and it is very disappointing to me..I go out to the workshop look at the things I need to get built and have no interest.."sad day"...But That's life...Brian Smith
Old 01-20-2002, 07:00 PM

Default To build or fly?

Brian: Losing interest happens sometimes and that's just a fact. You have been building a few years longer then me and at the moment I am where you are at right now. I got burned out building for other people and it went from being a pleasant pass time, to being a chore. Now some of the desire is coming back and I have a medical problem keeping me out of the shop. I'm hoping that when the problem is finally fixed the building will come back. Take a nice long break and then try again, but slow and easy. Take care.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:12 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Default Flying VS. Building

We have a flying season and building season here in Northwest Indiana. I model all year so in order to stay active other than blowing snow I build. I also get burn't out but Im a bit more careful to pick out what I really want. I think I might like building a bit more but when the weather is here I will be at the field. I would like to see more builders in our club but barfs have definately become more common than the builders pride..
Old 01-20-2002, 08:13 PM
My Feedback: (117)

Default Building/ Flying

Thanks Art...Good advise...I tried to force it and it only made things worse....Brian
Old 01-20-2002, 09:21 PM

Default To build or fly?

Brian: forcing it only makes it worse, been there!!!! When you build for other people you have to sometimes build one that you don't like and you're under a time constraint and that's what did me in. The urge is there now a bit, but I am forced to take a break and hopefully it will come back as I now have some that I want to do for myself. Take your time as there's no hurry, just do a few things at a time and then walk away for awhile, then come back when you are ready and not before. Good luck to you.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:50 PM

Default To build or fly?

I guess the one thing that keeps me enjoying the building mode is that I don’t build for others. I do help a lot of folks out with their planes and I do build a few ARF planes for others, but I don’t scratch or kit build for anyone other than myself. I also change my style of flying every few years and this has really been a lifesaver. For the last three years I have been into giant scale planes. Before that it was fun fly planes, and still is, but I am transitioning from fun fly to giant scale. When I feel a burnout coming on I know it is time to change my flying style again. Changing flying styles also means that I will be building a different type plane. It’s hard to believe that after all these years I can still get excited about building a new style plane, but it works every time. James Goss
Old 01-21-2002, 04:11 PM

Default To build or fly?

James - Thanks for the complement on my Wasp.. I got the logo from a guy that does computer generated vinyl graphics... His web address is: http://www.flightbox.org/customcut/. Great service and very reasonably prices....

I did the border around the wasp to look like the wasp was "busting" out of the wing.... Just used blue and transparent blue ultracote over monocote. You don't get bubbles that way...

Interesting thread here..... I'm really struggling with balance on this issue... I love to build... I live to build.... I get totally obsessed with the whole hobby.... I sometimes push myself soo hard that I don't enjoy it... I mean, who enjoys fighting with a throttle cable at 2:00 am?? well... I guess I have to admit that sometimes I enjoy burning the midnight oil... but not when I have to get up at 5:30 am to get to work....

I really need to find the middle road.... I guess I just need to keep things in perspective... And I think I really need to take a little break to re-focus....
Old 01-22-2002, 01:37 AM

Default To build or fly?

I do enjoy building and it is a real pleasure to see your work in the air. That is why I don't build plastic models that set on a shelf. I have bashed an ugly stick and have really enjoyed the new planes performance. I added more wing and it really will fly slow and rock solid. Since it is cold and wet with wind it is the time of the year to be building and an READY ABS Plastic model with floats are on the building table. Flying floats will be a new experience for me. That is what is good about the hobby, always new chalanges to try.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:48 AM
My Feedback: (80)

Default Building for me

I like to fly but nothing gives me more satisfaction than taking a box of wood and creating a masterpiece. Flying for the most part just re-kits them.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:44 AM

Default To build or fly?

I agree with Chook. I also think building gives you a lot more understanding of whats going on during flying.
Mike
Old 01-24-2002, 08:49 PM

Default To build or fly?

Building:
cutting-----------love it
gluing------------love it
sanding----------hate it, hate it, hate it

Covering:
If not for sanding to prepare the surface, I'd love it. By the time I'm ready to actually cover, I'm sick of fooling with it.

Setting up control surfaces Radio, etc: indifferent

Flying: love it
Old 01-24-2002, 11:49 PM

Default Build

I crash so much that I have to like building, and I've been at this for 7 years. Seriously, I do crash a lot, I mean I do love the challenge of engineering and building, espesially my own designs. I have finally gotten numb to the whole crashing thing, it's just balsa!

Now if I could just find someone to do the %#&(^#@$* covering for me!

The only other hobby I've had that was almost as much fun was Beer Brewing. You got to create and then drink your creation. :-)

- Spike [/B][/QUOTE]

Spike, put on a batch and I'll be over. We can drink and complain about covering together!

Regards,
Darrin Cash