Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fuel probe

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:00 PM
robert85614

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel probe

I bought a Piper Archer at a swap meet and it has a fuel receptical on the side of the cowl.
What kind of a fuel probe to I need to purchase to get glow fuel in the tank?
Which end of the probe mates with the recepticle?
I have looked at Tower photos and I beleive I have a Dubro.
Please help I don't want to cause a mess.
Will it be necessary to count my hand pump strokes to determine if my tank is full?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24355.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	349954  
Old 11-06-2005, 09:04 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: fuel probe

Since this is second hand, you should give it a very thorough checking out before you attempt to fly it. This should include pulling the cowl, replacing fuel lines, etc. While the cowl is out, take a close look at the back side of the fuel filler, it will probably say whether it's the Dubro or Great Planes version. I don't know if they are the same or different. Before you attempt to fly the plane, you should carefully confirm that the filler works properly. While mine have been fine, others have reported clogs, leaks, and other troubles.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a little hard to see in the picture you posted, but it looks like a Dubro Kwik-fil fuel valve. Here is the link to this item on Tower Hobbies website, [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD745&P=ML[/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 11-07-2005, 01:17 PM
redfox435cat

a dubro and great planes probes work with each other. The one problem I see is they don't sell just the probe, so you'll have to buy another valve which runs about 10-13 bucks. You'll have another valve for another cowled plane though

One planes when I can see the muffler I crank untill I see fuel headed toward the muffler. On planes I can't see it, it seems the only way to tell is to either listen which in the wind is imposable or look for fuel out the muffler
Old 11-07-2005, 04:40 PM
robert85614

THANK you for the advise.
I will try 40 cranks on my hand pump and increase by 5 turns until I make a mess and then back off 10 turns. That should work.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:02 PM
robert85614

Well I now know how to use a fuel probe. Did it today with a probe furnished by the ex commanding general of Edwards AFB. What a nice man.
The president of our club then offered to take the Piper Archer up and trim it for me.
This was the first flight. Beautiful take off 3 seconds of flight and crash on the desert. It sure made a lot of dust.
Damage was broken nose wheel, and several clevis connectors. Too much time in the sun made the plastic brittle.
I am in the process of replacing with metal where ever possible.
The air frame is fine except for some torn monocoat and abrasions. New prop and spinner required.
I sure know how to use a fuel probe now.