Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Club Members insist on flying solo...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Club Members insist on flying solo...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:55 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Club Members insist on flying solo...

If they are flying a safe distance from the flight-line you should be able to easily fly & avoid their "box" of airspace. Their preference for solo access is just that -- a preference, not a rule or law. If you can't accommodate their preference, go flying.

There shouldn't be any concern unless the pattern guys are practicing over the runway, or in the circuit, in which case a good mid-air will cure that. We had a problem with 3D fliers who insisted on jamming the airspace over the runway -- until a SPAD cut one of them in two -- tough luck. The problem instantly dissappeared.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:06 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont' think the problem here is with courteous pattern pilots, but with the rude, obnoxious type guys that the OP was referring to--those that try and TELL you that they are flying alone, and for you to either land, or not take off until they are finished. Those guys need to be erradicated!
Old 11-15-2005, 04:43 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a SPAD and -----------!!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:36 PM
kamakazie frank
My Feedback: (2)

I guess this is where my complex below came from!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:01 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the desire to be able to fly solo to practice. I understand the same desire for someone flying an expensive plane. The point I was making is when someone imposes on others for these reasons is wrong. I like watching people practice pattern. Though it's not the part of the hobby I persue, I admire those that do it well. The way NJF72 described the situation is that these guys were expecting solo use of the air and expecting others to wait until they were done. If I want to fly solo, I'll try to get to the field at first light on a mid week day, or stay until the end of day when everyone packs it up. Any other time (and even at these times) if I get solo airspace, I'll consider myself lucky.
I would not have any problem with a club dedicated to pattern, 3d, electric, jet, scale, or whatever aspect, builds a field for their solo use. But if a club is open to a variety of fliers, it should be open to a variety of fliers, unless there is an official mechanism in place to reserve use of the field.

Good flying
Scott
Old 11-16-2005, 05:04 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I'm glad to see the last several posts. I was afraid the thread may turn into a pattern bashing, which I felt was unjustified. Every field I'm sure has those pilots that cause problems, be it breaking rules, flying where they shouldn't, not announcing intnetions (such as rolling out for takeoff while another pilot is on final), or just being an obnoxious boob.

In very special cases, I can understand the "demand" to fly solo, especially if you are already airbone. But this should be a very rare occurance. I.E., if a scale guy brings out some sweet multi engine what ever that took 1 million hours to build for it's maden flight, I can understand thier disapproval of others getting airborne after they are up. In such a case, I'd consider the second pilot insisting he had a right to take off and fly now the boob. Technically he would be correct, but I don't think that was the right time to enforce such a right.

So that out of the way, what to do with those that insist on flying alone on a regualr basis. I don't agree with the taking the offenders out with SPADs, but if it happens I'd agree that is thier tough luck. I'd prefer a one-on-one with the pilot to explain to the the problem, se if you can work out some flying schedule for that day. If they are unreasonable and/or don't get it, I'd think most clubs would have some structure in place to handle complaints. I would offically lodge a polite complaint with the club in writing and get as many other members as possible to cosign the complaint. Pres of the club should make it very clear, in writing such as in the newsletter, that all members have equal access and rights to the field.

Cheers!