Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flying Field Runway Surface?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flying Field Runway Surface?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 12:41 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Flying Field Runway Surface?

I fly with two different clubs here in town, and wanted to get some runway ideas from you. One club just moved to a new field, and all that is there is dirt. There is no way to get water to it for grass, not enough moisture to make anything grow, and dirt is not good to fly off of. can you give me some good ideas about what to put down for a runway surface? The other club uses drier felts from a mill in town, but they only change them once a year and they are very hard to come by. Pavement would be cool, but the owner wont go for it. Is there any other felts available commercially that work or any other great ideas out there?

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:08 AM
smitymax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a material that is commercially available that comes in big sheet (rolled) that has been used for RC runways. Not a good as asphalt but a whole lot better than dirt. I am not sure what it is used for commercially and do not offhand know the name of it. But It was discussed at one of our club meetings to be used to controll sosme erosion beside the clubs runway. Water goes through it but weed dont grow under it . If you will give me your email address If. I will find out what it is and where you get it and let you know more about it. I am not sure that I could find this thread again to reply to you after I find the info. Might be next week.
My email is : [email protected]
Old 11-10-2002, 02:32 AM
LoboFlyer

How about AstroTurf or equivalent?

Ahh, its probably too expensive. We use pavement here...good for taxiing, good for taking off...hard on landing

With dirt you have to be careful about getting crud in your engines (use intake filters!)
Old 11-10-2002, 04:56 AM
Steve Guinn

Find out which stadiums are getting their turf replaced. :idea:
Old 11-11-2002, 03:00 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Runway Surface

Our club uses a good quality indoor/outdoor rug. They come in 12 foot widths. We have five of them (each 200 ft long) side by side. So our runway is now 60 ft X 200 ft. The first year we had only one piece, and we added pieces in subsequent years. I think each piece was about $ 1100. Each piece overlaps slightly and landscape spikes (every 3-4 feet) keep it in place. Bob