Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Illegal to fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Illegal to fly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 03:46 PM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illegal to fly?

I am curious if there are any places, (cities, counties, etc.), where flying rc model aircraft has been banned. I am trying to answer some questions that have been asked by others as we are trying to gain a flying site in our area. The question was posed as to if it is illegal to fly anywhere and what the circumstances, (if any), were to bring it about.

Please let me know,

T.

Old 11-20-2005, 03:56 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Illegal to fly?

There is quite a few localites that have banned model flying. Many have been brought about by arrogance, stupidity or just noisy models and the right people complaining. I think in one case a city councilmans kid had gotten hit by a glider (not hurt or anything) and they went on a crusade.

Your best bet is to get in contact with the flying site assistance folks at the AMA they deal with this on a dialy basis.
http://www.modelaircraft.org I have found thier staff to be pretty responsive and helpful on the phone.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:33 PM
tsawyer148

Thanks Barracuda, yes I am going to contact our rep from the AMA tomorrow, but I am also hoping to get a little more insight from the masses who have been or are affected by any bans that have been imposed and the circumstances and immediate reprocussions.

Thanks again,

T.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:59 PM
kdheath

There are any number of sites around the country, esp parks and the like, where models are banned. Then there are other places where it isn't a problem. A real mixed bag. There was a state wide ban enacted once in the past, but it was overturned. This was many decades ago when gas models were just getting going. Since you are in Utah, Wes DeCou is your man to contact with AMA site development. The Eastern site director, Joe Beshar, has been very helpful to us. Hint: inquire with Wes about the EPA and Superfund sites.
<[email protected]>
(480) 460-9466
Old 11-20-2005, 05:14 PM
tsawyer148

Yes, I am going to contact Wes tomorrow, (already on my to do list), and the area I live in has no superfund, EPA sites anywhere close. We already have a place that we are trying to get as a flying site, but like I said, I am looking for particulars on the wheres and whys as to places that you absolutely cannot fly. Basically, I am gathering information so if the question is brought up in a very in-opportune moment, I have the answers as to where and why they cannot fly and use that as a reason why we need a flying field in the area. Want to be able to prove the point that if we have a flying field, it will hopefully help avoid any problems later on.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Most flying site loss involves urban sprawl and noise issues more than anything.

A few get lost due to accidents and liability issues but if your armed with information from the AMA and the site owner and town council understand that they aren't going to loose thier house if something happens that goes a long way. The absolute best way is to invite some folks from the council or property owner or whatever out to see what its all about, put them on a trainer on a buddy box and feed them some burgers.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:29 AM
tsawyer148

This whole ordeal has been a seven year quest. We have been through 2 complete changeovers in the county commisiion and at least that many with the city council. The physical location of a flying site is not the issue. What we are up against is that the location is on BLM property and every time we have any sort of contact with them, it's like starting over. The area is a joint venture with the county and BLM so not only are we dealing with our local government, there is also a Federal organization involved. The purpose of this thread is to find out whether or not flying has been banned in a particular place, for whatever reason. The persons involved with the BLM are so worried about stepping on someones toes that they ask some of the most ridiculous questions. I guess I should clarify to say that it is not EVERYONE in our local field office that has issues, just our point of contact.

So, once again the question is whether or not flying has been banned anywhere and why. The question was posed in a roundabout sort of way so I am sure that there is going to be a pro/con discussion come up with those involved sometime and I want to be able to give as much info as I can.

T.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Newc

Perhaps of interest is that I have seen a number of city parks where the sign has specified no model plane flying. However, these same parks also have on the signs that one may not use golf clubs, frisbees, baseball bats, have pets, use radios, etc. You could use this in any discussions as showing that the folks that issued these restrictions weren't as enlightened as the folks with whom you are meeting.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:18 PM
TripleFlipOut

Yes, I was actually ticketed by a park ranger for flying a model airplane in a city park. I kept that ticket with my other stupid ones, going to make a wall hanging one day.

Anyway...I was flying a GWS slow stick and a GWS Cub Stick. Real dangerous stuff, there! This clown comes over the hill on his bike, almost fell DOWN the hill getting off his bike to WALK it down, then proceeds to question and harrass me, finally giving me a warning ticket. We were trying not to laugh, as I was asking him all sorts of questions like.....well, if these stick planes are illegal, what about....rubber band powered airplanes? What about boomerangs? What about frisbees? While he was writing me up, a couple of model rockets went off in the background and he pretended to not even notice. LoL, talk about illegal at the park...he had just gotten through mentioning them. (and we had rockets as well although we were done with the rocketry when smokey the bear rides up)

After succumbing to my unavoidable sense of humour, the ranger finally gave in and at least was nice enough to offer the name of the local park authority who handles the local flying club. Yeah, thanks, guy! I didn't know there was a flying field 20 miles away...gee whiz. I can pay dues and drive the extra distance and wait my turn to fly my slow stick once a week....brilliant!

What a bunch of nuts, city people....the same ones who tell me I can't ride my dirt bike down a city street!
Old 11-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The local city parks are posted.."No model vehicles"... this means cars, boats, and planes. And probably kites.
By personal appeal to the park council, it is possible to get individual approval for flying; showing a level of ability beyond mere fun and games, insurance (AMA) and interest enough to actually go thru the process.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:51 PM
LANNYBOB

in california if your caught flying a model plane in a park, you get a $99 epa citation for polluting the environment. if its an electric plane you get a
$1000 fine because the batteries in your model may contain chemicals to the state of california to cause cancer.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:16 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

A local comminity college, in Montgomery County Texas banned Rc flying on thier property. My property tax specifically list the college and the tax collected for the college. So the property is clearly public, right ?

Well, the college claims the property is private and they have the right to ban us. The Montgomery county Sherrif, says no they don't. The Sherrifs department says we can fly there. Campus police have threatened to arrest us if we fly. When we asked where they were going to place us in jail, they responded in the Humble City jail in the next county. Hmm, The campus securtiy had employed several off duty Humble City police officers. So essentially we would be kidnapped and brought into their jurisdiction. This is completely illegal. The Montgomery County Sherrif advised us that any Campus police that tried to do any such thing would be arrested by the Montgomery County Sherrifs Office.

We, myself and the other 15 or so guys that flew there were discussing the way we should test the law. We had discussed allowing ourselfs to be arrested by the campus police and with the Montgomery County Sherrifs Office standing by to rescue us. However, we had located another flying site and decided that we didn't need to fight for our old site. The Law in Texas isn't always what it seems and the good guys aren't always the ones with badges. Corruption, egoes, and just poor training can bring one law inforcement agency a large budget for its employees. And that is often difficult to fight. Law inforcement is a business. At least in this state.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:16 AM
TripleFlipOut

I asked about such an exemption, and I tried very hard to explain to the park ranger the relative light weight of the planes I fly, and the fact that I was experienced enough to fly safely and never around other people (unless they are with me..). He wouldn't hear any of it.

Guys show up with R/C monster trucks at the gravel pit EVERY weekend, and that's about 50 yards from where I got "caught" flying my slow stick. People are out firing off my rockets in the middle of a field not 100 yards from where I was "caught" usually ever weekend. None of these activities are sanctioned by the city park. Never seen Johnny ParkRanger ONCE....not once.

There are signs posted to pick up after your dog and keep them on a leash, park closed sunset to sunrise..blah blah blah. No mention of model anything. No mention of frisbees, lawn darts, paper airplanes.

But then again, most things around my "city" are half-*****ed at best. They ask you to pick up after your dog, but there is only one trash can in the ENTIRE park! The waste bag dispenser is always empty, no big deal I'll bring my own, but at least provide some trash cans along the walking trail so I don't have to carry it for a mile! How lazy do you have to be to not think that's a good idea? Oh yeah...government employees....nevermind.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:35 AM
TripleFlipOut

I think it's safe to say that is the case in most states. At least I know it is true here in the Communistwealth. My city is starting construction on a multi-million dollar "super police station" in mid-town. Cruisers and SWAT units will be able to respond all over the city, in force, within minutes. Like a military battalion. Unconstitutional tyrannical police states suspending the rights of citizen units at will is a topic for another time and another forum....but....I don't like what I see... It's a business, and it's an ugly one. Fraternal Orders and Brotherhoods, such concepts, shed light on the foundations of the thought-processes, worldly goals, and untrustworthy membership of our nation's police forces. Their idea of freedom is of the Promethean torch variety. Enough said.

I will look into school yard flying myself, I think I might be able to get away with that after hours, at least for a while. At least until I'm "spotted."

Were I you, I would consider taking the Sheriff up on his offer. I've had run-ins with power hungry rent-a-cops that were off-duty locals....they are a dangerous breed, and need to be shut down whenever possible.

Old 11-23-2005, 09:36 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of things.

One, my club has been successfully flying off City property, well within the city limits for over 30 years. We work with the parks department and both parties are protected by a lease and AMA insurance. Did you know that the AMA gives your Club and the land owner FIVE million in liability coverage?

Second many cities and counties now have all of their municipal codes posted on line. Do your own research, or if approached by a law enforcement individual, POLITELY ask them to site the exact code you are violating. If you get a !QUOT!it is just against the rules!QUOT! then again politely ask them to specify the rule and where may you find a written copy of that rule.

As to the gentleman up above, you got a ticket for flying models in a park. That had to go to court at some time. Make the cop show up in court. Point out to the judge that the rule, if there is one was being selectivly enforced on that day, site the rockets and other activities.

As to the community college. Yes it's public land but you have to look at the lease that grants it to the college, and what authority they have over the land. I'd agree that an Air Force Base weapons storage area is public land but I wouldn't suggest even trying to go fly off of it.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Dave trimmer

Do you know if in canada it is illegal to fly wthout insurance, in local base ball fields?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:34 AM
BWooster

Not that I know of. There would have to be a provincial statute to mandate insurance, and I doubt very much any province has one. Certainly not in Alberta. (Just make sure the house is in your wife's name.)

There may be a provision in a local city bylaw, but it is unlikely to involve insurance. It would probably just limit park uses.

I am reading these stories with interest. Our local bylaw officers, I am told, just ask people to find a club. I heard we have even picked up a few members that way.