Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Radios for Jets

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Radios for Jets

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 11:09 PM
ebeygin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radios for Jets

Hi!

What radios are used for Jets? It seems that since those things fly very fast, they need a longer range, than propeller planes. So what kind of radios do those guys use? If they are different, can I use them with my servos on my prop plane?
Old 11-11-2002, 11:37 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radios for Jets

It will be out of visible range with a good name brand radio,and still under control. Dont know about the servos other than tight centreing to stop flutter.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:58 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default Jet Radios

Many of us who fly jets are using the JR 10X system. Consider this:
Many turbine airplanes are built from composites....many have lots of carbon fibre, servos in every corner of the airframe, long servo leads, multiple battery packs, an ECU that might or might not make RF, an electric motor powered fuel pump, a large lump of rotating metal in the middle for an engine, and a long stainless steel exhaust duct running to the back of the airframe. Not a very happy environment for a RC receiver to operate in. Many opportunities for range reduction and interference!
Many of our jets cost us from $5000.00 and up, with some of the more sophisticated examples representing an investment of $14,000.00 or so.
Why would anyone use anything other than first rate equipment with that kind of money in the air?

You need an excellent RF link to fly turbine powered jets. I'm surprised that the radios perform as well as they do in this kind of environment. (FCC RF radiation limitations, etc.)

Servos are a perfect example of what not to scrimp on. At the speeds that are commonplace today, the servo and it's linkage and surface hinging need to be very well thought out and executed in order to keep the surfaces attached. Many airplanes have been lost due to surface flutter, even at lower speeds. Poor design, no engineering, construction errors, low torque values, etc. One wreck will ruin your day for months to come.

I'm not saying that JR is the only brand of radio to use, as there are many jets flying out there, quite successfully in fact with Futaba, Airtronics and others. Those guys have loads of brand loyalty like I have, and with very good reason! You use what you like and are familiar with, as long as it suits the purpose. Don't switch unless it is for an upgrade.

I heard from a guy that is in the know, (who went to the TOC)that the Futaba team at the TOC was using JR servos with their Futaba Xmitters and receivers this year. If that is so, there must be a reason for it. I suppose that I could be wrong, but..........maybe Futaba has a new bunch of servos in developement. We will all benefit if that is true.

I use JR equipment exclusively, and have had some issues with some components from time to time, as nothing is perfect. For the most part, I'm a very happy camper with my JR radios. They have very friendly, speedy and economic repair service too.

You can use any of these high end radios on your prop driven airplanes. They have very user friendly programming, and plenty of servo options. Metal geared coreless motored digitals, and lower priced 3 and 5 pole motors in the standard servo range.
There are enough options to suit any budget, and every airplane type. Extra non-used channels are not a liability--they are an asset, as you can use them on another more complex project in the future. You can't just buy a spare TX and Rx channel off the rack at the local hobby emporium and drop it in.

Consider the JR offerings..you might like them.

95% of the BVM Team uses JR. They don't give it to us either....we have to pay for it just like everyone else does.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
Old 11-12-2002, 06:28 AM
ebeygin

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for that detailed answer!

So what's the range on the JR 10x?

Oh, and please don't say: it's farther than you can see the plane....I really do need to know how far it is.

thanks again!
Old 11-16-2002, 01:56 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default Radio range

I've never had reason to measure it, but I believe that a well tuned RC system could operate at a range of one mile or so, give or take a little, depending upon atmoshpheric conditions and a host of other conditions (RF environment, site geography, battery condition, antenna polarization, etc.).

Good luck with your experiment. Don't do anything illegal!

Harley Condra
BVM REP
Old 11-16-2002, 07:59 PM
ebeygin

Default Radios for Jets

hehe..
Thanks..

My plans are all about good old fun.. and they're legal in 5 states

jusk kidding..

I live in Canada...I plan to get a HAM license if I'm required to, for my project.