Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Bipe dilema ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 07:24 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bipe dilema ?

Maybe you guy's can help me make a decision. Like a lot of you I have a very limited hobby budget, so in order for me to buy a 3D electric I need to part with one of my bipes to fund the plane. One is a Great Planes Ultimate 40 with a Rossi .45 w/pitts muffler. This plane is currently flying and handles great with the exception of the ailerons are a little small and will not roll very fast. I really like the way Ultimates fly. The other one is a Direct Connection Ultimate.90 size with a ST 2300 for power. This plane is stripped and ready to be re-covered. I only flew this plane a few times and never really had a chance to get comfortable with it. Now I and kind of leaning towards the bigger plane because I have read that the larger Ultimates handle a lot better than the smaller ones.
So if you had a choice, which one would you keep?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:20 PM
tsands
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Bipe dilema ?

I would keep the one you like the best and think you can afford to replace if you crash. It's really a personal preference thing. Enjoy whichever you keep
Old 12-21-2005, 09:50 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are the aileron gaps sealed on your 40? If not, seal them and see if it doesn't roll a lot faster.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:54 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

Are the aileron gaps sealed on your 40?
Yes, they are sealed. They are only about an inch wide and it uses the strip aileron setup with one servo. If I was the one who built the plane I would have used two servos and made the ailerons a lot bigger. I think I made a decision anyway to sell the GP 40 and fly the Direct Connection .90. I believe in the long run I will be happier with a bigger plane.
BTW I have the pushrods all the way out with an extended servo arm and the horns are screwed almost all the way down and the ailerons still just barely move. I guess after flying a Katana 40 profile with barn door throws then another planes control surfaces look like they don't move at all.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Norm Nestie

I have a GP Ultimate 40 and when I got it all set up there was a LOT of aileron throw evident. I figured, oh well, I'll just have to be a little more careful on the sticks. Yeh right. The plane was so sensitive to ANY imput that it would roll 10 times in an instant. I was lucky to get it back on the ground to dial "off" some of the throw. I aso used the strip aileron set up, which has been ok. Not sure why your plane is not giving enough aileron throw if servos and all working ok, because just the regular stock set up is plenty to "get your attention".