Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Flaperons on my second plane >

Flaperons on my second plane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flaperons on my second plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaperons on my second plane

I am thinking about putting flaperons on my Mid-Star 40. I still like to use ailerons on approach, as well as the rudder. Will flaperons render my ailerons useless once engaged?
Old 01-18-2002, 08:30 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flaperons

No, they won't. The flaperon on all transmitters I know of makes the ailerons dual function so that they give both roll control as ailerons and also flaps. Obviously, if your flaps are at the limit of servo travel and put in an aileron command, the servo that should move downward won't be able to move, but the opposite servo will move, giving you roll control. It does work very well in practice.

Many radios can be set up in several different ways. You can have dial down flaps that hold until you dial them back up. Another method is like control line stunt flaps where the flaperons move opposite to the elevator and in proportion to it. You can usually switch these on or off. I prefer these off for landing since when I flare before touchdown, I get more flap causing a little more float. A third method is two-position flaps with a small amount for take off and full down flaps for landing. This set up is usually used by scale fliers with separate flaps.

For landings, I prefer to set the wing type to Flaperon, then mix throttle and flaps so my flaps go upwards as I retard the throttle past the halfway setting. This spoiler setting works well to keep the plane from floating excessively. A good thing about this setting is the flaperons move back to neutral if you advance the power as you would on a touch and go. you could also set the flaps to go down instead of up.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like a worthwhile modification for me. I don't want to rebuild the wing with seperate flaps but I will put seperate servos to each surface. Thank the Funster for this one. I seen one flying backwards with flaps in the wind