Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need Help Finding A Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need Help Finding A Plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:44 PM
allenj861

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Finding A Plane

Hello All, I am still somewhat new to R/C Aircraft. I have only been flying for about 1 1/2 years. I want to get out of the 40 size aircraft and move into something bigger. I am completely in love with Cessna's. I am in the Marine Corps and occasionally get to fly with friends of mine who have pilot's licenses in a Cessna. A good friend of mine gave me a O.S. BGX 3500. I am looking for a model Cessna or like a/c that will utilize that motor. I need help in finding this plane as all the Cubs and Cessna's I have found do not go that big. I would also be interested in a Stik or Road Runner but have not been able to find those either.

Jeff Allen
Old 01-31-2006, 12:57 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Need Help Finding A Plane

Here is the site for the Road Runner. Riverton is the home of the Road Runner, designed by Bill Carpenter (C & H Ignitions). Any weekend you will find 10-15 of them flying at the WyMoPa field. Lynn Marlatt has both the 90" ARF and the BYI kit. It will be a great match for your BXG.

www.funflyplanes.com

Rich

-----------------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
redfox435cat

balsa usa has some big cubs.

[link=http://www.balsausa.com/kits/?shopperid=]blasa usa[/link]

AS far as big cessnas. the top flite 182 is too small for that engine so really don't know
Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 PM
allenj861

Rich, thank you for the info. I need your opinion on this. I have been flying for about 1 1/2 years, I am good but still make those new mistakes sometimes, you know, the "dumb left thumb". Would a plane like that be good to learn big scale on? Does it come down like a rock or is it gentle? I just need a plane that I can transition into large scale with. Thanks again and have a good day.

Jeff
Old 01-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may also want to check out the "Bud Nosen" kits. If I remember properly they are now made by AA.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:39 PM
staggerwing

Jeff, given the engine that you want to use, the Road Runner will give you the kind of experience you need to move to giants. It will give you great confidence in getting a tail dragger off the ground. It can do any acrobatics and some of the 3D stuff. Landings are a ball--my favorite pastime--because it will easily slow down to a crawl and sit down three point very easily. I've been flying RC for 49 years and the Road Runner is one plane I keep in my trailer all the time. I fly it every weekend.

I have a Brisson 2.4 on mine. I can get off the ground in about 10 ft or less or I can let it take the whole 450' on the mains. It will truly climb vertical out of sight. Again, I think it will do what you want, get you used to handling a big plane.

Rich
Old 01-31-2006, 08:51 PM
D S R FLYER

I have an airplane that appears too bean arf it is built of balsa fuselage and abalsa covered foam wing the wing span is 87 " I have been told it is probly a G Shark but I cannot find any info on such an item would enjoy any help on this
Old 01-31-2006, 09:03 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

KMP has a Cessna 152 aerobat ARF, 84 inch wing, calls for a 1.08 two stroke
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11578.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	399453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72130.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	399454  
Old 02-01-2006, 09:09 AM
allenj861

Rich and fellow Pilots, thank you all for the great information. It is settled. I am going to get a Road Runner and put the O.S. BGX-1 3500 on it. It will be my first large scale plane and it sounds like a great machine. I looked at the website and it looks really nice to. I like how simple it is. Makes repairs easier. Again, thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. Happy flying to you all.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2006, 12:13 PM
staggerwing

Jeff, I think you will be happy with the Road Runner. Since it's the local airplane, we have them in all sizes from small electrics to one giant with a 130" wing span. The ARF is well built and rugged. The BYI kit is more for someone who likes to build.

Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

Rich

----------------------------

Old 02-01-2006, 02:34 PM
allenj861

Rich, ok, now you have me going [8D]. How do I get one of the 130" and would the BGX still power it? I really like the 90" wingspan also though. I would not mind learning to build either. I only have expirience in ARF's so far. Do you think the 90" wingspan is better to go to for now?
I will keep in touch. Your opinions have been invaluabe, especially knowing how long you have been flying. It means something knowing that. Take care and happy days at the field.

Jeff [8D]

(EDIT)

I have an OBTW, for the road runner, what servos would I need and how many? I was thinking 6 heavy duty.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:06 PM
staggerwing

The 130" was by someone who blew up the plans to that size. I think it's gone to the big hanger in the sky. I'm not sure if any plans are available.

I think the 90" will do you well. The BIY kit is not a first time endeavor. As for servos, it doesn't take giant scale. I have HiTechs in mine. You need two for ailersons, two for elevator, one for rudder and a standard for throttle. I think I'm using 425 metal gear but I'd have to check.

The ARF is a good buy. It really doesn't take long to put it together. Put the wing together, put the horizontal and vertical stab on, make a mount for your engine, mount the landing gear and you are in business.

Give Lynn a call and he can fill you in.

Rich

------------------------------------------

Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 PM
allenj861

Rich, for the servos, can they be standard torque or do they need to be high torque? I will go with the 90". I am excited to step into this big scale. I have a motor mount that was given to me with the motor. It was mounted on a Sukhoi before. Thanks again for all the input. I really appreciate it. If you are ever in Yuma, Az, look me up. I am the Vice President of the club here. I am new but they love my enthusiasim for the hobby.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2006, 06:38 PM
staggerwing

Jeff, I'll check to see which HiTech I am using. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Rich
Old 02-02-2006, 08:44 AM
allenj861

Rich, sounds good. What radio do you use? I use a Futaba 6EXAS Super. I plan on trying out the low/high rates and adding some expo. I am building two planes right now and plan to write reviews on them when I am done. I cannot believe the quality of the planes for the low price. They are both Phoenix Models.....Decathlon and Giles 202 40 Size. I will post some pictures when I am done with them. I am working on building a heli right now. A Kyosho Caliber 30. It is coming out really nice. More on that later. Talk to you later my friend.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2006, 10:53 AM
staggerwing

Jeff, you are a busy fellow. Sounds like my workshop--or as my better half puts it, "too many projects at once."

I use a JR PCM 10x system on 50 mhz. Have high and low rates on the Road Runner but don't use expo.

I check in my trailer and the servos in my RR are HiTech HS-475BB's. They have been in it for two seasons and seem to be holding up just fine.

Hope this helps.

Rich
Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 AM
allenj861

Rich, well that is the servo I will use, except for j connectors. I do have alot of projects going on but I really love this hobby. I used to build my own boats when I was in high school many, many years ago. Now that I am into planes it is alot more fun. I am even getting the wife into it. I also like that it keeps busy. I enjoy the tinkering. Thank you again for all the help. Here is my email if you want to get a hold of me.... [email protected] or [email protected] . It has been really nice talking with you. Have a good safe weekend and happy flying.

Jeff