Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flite Metal

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:30 AM
bluestratos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flite Metal

I am building the Midwest AT 6 Texan and want to finish it with "Flite Metal" but I have never used the product. Any one have any experience with the material? Also, since the control surfaces were fabric covered, how did you cover these? Did you find a paint that would match the flight metal finish?

Best regards,
Randy
Old 02-08-2006, 05:17 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Flite Metal

The real AT6 that was in natural aluminum finish had silver painted fabric covered control surfaces.

For other people interested in Flite Metal....

http://www.flitemetal.com/

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-10-2006, 07:02 PM
bluestratos

Have you actually applied the flite metal, or can anyone describe in more detail than their web page does how it is applied?
Such as rivets, panel lines etc...

Best regards,
Randy
Old 02-10-2006, 07:35 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_23...tm.htm#2383762
Old 02-16-2006, 10:25 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bluestratos Have you actually applied the flite metal, or can anyone describe in more detail
than their web page does how it is applied? Such as rivets, panel lines etc... Best regards, Randy
What about the application process seems unclear? Literally, as it appears on the web site is exactly the way it is
applied. Does it sound too simple or easy? Its actually no different than described. While there are many
threads within RCU focused on covering with Flite-Metal it is true that they rarely describe the process they
utilize to accomplish the task. This is because they typically follow the directions and it works.

As is stated within our directions on the web site and accompanying evey product packaging...panel lines are
drawn first, perimeter is then outlined with 3M Fine Line (green polypropylene) tape for each panel you apply.
Cut aluminum larger than panel, peel backing, place into panel perimeter...beginning in center of panel press
down with your index finger moving to the panel perimeter in a circular motion. When completed, burnish with
soft burnishing tool against hard edge of 3M Fine Line tape. Using a curved edge hobby knife draw the blade
along each perimeter edge against hard edge of tape. Extract excess aluminum, peel up 3M Fine Line tape, then
burnish edges down smoothly.

In the length of time it took to describe, you will have applied a panel. Proceed with application beginning at the
bottom rear and working forward along sides of fuselage and wing to end covering down the center top of the
airframe to the front of the model. The entire process is described step by step within our web site. After your
reading that, what was fuzzy and not understood?

Many aircraft have aluminum fuselages and wings with fabric covered control surfaces...elevator, rudder, and
ailerons. Paint these surfaces with primer, then paint with enough coats to seal the surface completely. Apply
pinking tape in strips to the surface over the ribs where the fabric is stitched to the rib. The apply more paint.
Paint on these surfaces of full size planes is quite thick. Here is an A-36 elevator...

Old 02-17-2006, 03:13 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Flitemetal is just ordinary aluminum duct tape but in broader dimensions!
Over here in Sweden there is two types of aluminum duct tape, one is thinner then the other, both approximately 5cm wide. The thicker variant is exactly the same as Flitemetal, looks the same, feels the same, acts the same when working with it.
Here is some pictures of my Marutaka DC-3 covered partially with aluminum duct tape (engine cowls, tail on fuselage and wing fairings...the rest covered with chrome Oracover sanded on a piece of glass before applied

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79454.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	410033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54822.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	410034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69543.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	410035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74697.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	410036  
Old 02-17-2006, 08:41 PM
FliteMetal

Would you please define "just ordinary aluminum tape"? OK, you got me, we mine boxite in Austrailia,
refine it with tin and lead in the Northern Italian Alps. Mill it in the Swiss Alps and ship it by DHL to our
offices in Houston.

Poof...its like a shadow. Someone inquires about something and immediately all those whom have never
ever utilized what's being inquired about jump out of the woodwork bombasting the subject inquired about
and immediately claiming it no different than...chewing gum wrappers ;^)

Somehow, all those scale modelers at the World Jet Meet whom were clad in Flite-Metal seemed to know
the difference. All those winners at Top Gun, Scale Masters, The AMA NATs, and Toledo Show know the
difference.

Now, you might ask yourself...if Flite-Metal had no unique attribute which differentiates it from whatever
ordinary aluminum tape is...why would so many skilled scale modelers prefer...Flite-Metal?.....winning?
Flite-Metal is nothing more than a tool which in the hands of our customers has proven its worth over and
over...again...honestly, that's all it is.

Honoring the requirements of this web site to not flame, nor make false claims about modelers, products,
nor manufacturers... Have an excellent weekend....
Old 02-17-2006, 09:41 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

If you represent Flite Metal, then I shall never buy a roll as long as I model airplanes. You have to have the worst attitude toward helping customers that I have ever witnessed.
So as not to flame you, sir, you have a good weekend.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:50 PM
FliteMetal

I am afraid you didn't understand our reply to our Swedish poster whom
is constantly bombasting our product every time it is discussed within the
confines of RCU.

The point is clear that if the gentleman were to have ever used our product
the difference would be obvious between construction grade aluminum tape
and Flite-Metal.

Somehow, my post in jest was taken as being rude, etc. However, I suppose
its AOK for anyone to throw stones at our product claiming it isn't what every
one who has ever used it...says it is.

Sorry if my post offended you. It most certainly should not have.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:59 PM
2slow2matter

Ed, your post didn't offend me, for sure, as I am simply an innocent by-stander in this. Yes, I'm aware that JAKA is constantly comparing your product to standard aluminum duct tape--I've read enough of the posts on RCU to have cought onto that. I was more referring to the post above where it sounded as if you were getting a little short with the gentleman because he wasn't quite understanding how it goes on. Of course, with written text, it's hard to tell the nature of someone's attitude, so if you weren't being short, then I appologize for assuming that. It's not that I don't want to use flite metal in the future, or that I wouldn't consider it, I just would like to know if I have a question or two that someone friendly would pick up the phone.

If I misunderstood your intent, then I appologize for that.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:16 PM
FliteMetal

When I originally replied, I started to change the word "fuzzy" to unclear. I was distracted and didn't change it.
Perhaps it was my use of the word fuzzy that tripped something that seemed short. Rest assured I go out of my
way to listen to and address every question from both existing and potential customers.

I have always gone out of my way to honor the constraints of this web site when it comes to a manufacturer
replying to posts. I am always careful to not discuss anything outside of the product attributes which permit it
to be applied with fewer problems than construction grade aluminum foils.

Yes, it is possible to purchase a foil with the same attributes as that found in Flite-Metal. The principal one being
Flite-Metal's ability to stretch 25% of its area mass. I am sure somewhere there is another manufacturer. However,
we have not found them in our constant search over the last eight years. The alloy we purchase is available only in
limited quantities because of the specialty application it is manufactured for.

If I may be of assistance in describing either application or finishing of Flite-Metal, or what differentiates it from
what you normally find in home stores simply email me [email protected] or post an inquiry in RCU
relative to either "aluminum covering" or "covering with aluminum" and I'll typically respond within a couple
of days to a week if I am out of pocket with real world travel.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:57 PM
jaka

Hi!
Well, I have used Flite metal...but when comparing it to ordianary aluminum duct tape I can see no difference besides it being broader than duct tape. I only report what I have seen and experienced myself nothing more[>:].
I'm not after anyone or wanting to make trouble, I only convey to others my own observations and experiences...can't be wrong.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 05-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter

If you represent Flite Metal, then I shall never buy a roll as long as I model airplanes. You have to have the worst attitude toward helping customers that I have ever witnessed.
So as not to flame you, sir, you have a good weekend.

Cool that means there will be more flight metal for me!!! I'm going to use it on my Jug, and my p-51.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Dsegal

The April, 2003 issue of Flying Models has an article on Flite Metal.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:04 AM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How do you keep the stuff from wrinkling on compound curves?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:36 AM
jaka

Hi!
You just massage it over the surface with a wooden birch stick or anything soft enough to not make any imperfections in the soft aluminum surface. It's real easy when you have tried it.
But as I said before ...Duct tape looks, feels and behaves the same as Flite metal.

Regards!
Jan K
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76690.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	455329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32610.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	455330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22281.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	455331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61193.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	455332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67805.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	455333  
Old 05-03-2006, 10:45 AM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jaka

Duct tape looks, feels and behaves the same as Flite metal ...
I would be tempted to use that aluminum duct tape, but I don't
want a model that looks like it's wearing a pinstriped suit!
I mean, eventually I'm gonna have a few panels that are wider than 2"
Old 05-03-2006, 12:31 PM
carlosponti

this is what i had always been told to use to simulate aluminum.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=44498

its even thinner than regular construction grade aluminum tape. the flitemetal user who posted his comments earlier i have this to say to you why is it that in car shows only the ppg paint wins the paint competitions. the reason is because there is always a certain amount of product nepetism in contests. not to knock your product but to every good product there is an off the shelf product that will work as well.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:41 PM
FliteMetal

The reason Flite-Metal doesn't wrinkle on compound curves is its ability to stretch 25%
of its area mass. A wrinkle can be avoided by using Flite-Metal application tools which
permit you to work across the largest contact patch rather than from panel edges.
This permits Flite-Metal to stretch in every direction at the same time. This is the
principal differential between construction grade aluminum foils and Flite-Metal.

All aluminum foils will cover a flat panel, however it is after you have covered the
panel that the appearance of a natural or polished aluminuim aircraft surface begins
being replicated. If all you did was unroll, cut, apply and trim...it doen't look like the
majority of the "Real Things".

A typical BVM F-100 will require between 10 and 12 hours to cover the fuselage and
another 6 to cover the wings and horiz stab. Then the process of replication begins.
You are replicating your documentation, not your imagination. A short look into the
customer examples quickly shows how they have replicated the weathered or a high
mirror polish of a 1:1 scale subject.