Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hangar 9 J-3

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 05:00 PM
draggin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 J-3

just a couple of questions about the hangar 9 j-3

i'm putting a TT pro .46 in front,

what do you folks think of this model?
with that particular engine?
what size prop would you recommend?

thanks in advance,
draggin'
Old 01-23-2002, 07:19 AM
bobf46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 J-3

I have one and it now hangs in my garage (retired for now). Used Sato65 and it flies great. Easy to handle on the ground too. The 46 should be enough power but thats about the minimum I would go. Good luck your gonna love it
Old 01-23-2002, 06:49 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default H9 Cub

An excellent flying Cub. The Hanger nine uses somewhat unusual stab decalage compared to most Cub models that results in a slightly
odd look to the stab incidence but does produce nice flight characteristics, i.e. very easy wheel landings (also an asset on floats).

Mine is a rebuild from the trashcan and has served very well indeed as a night flyer on floats and wheels. Is also modified with reflexing flaps (40 degrees down/15 degrees up). While this is not scale as a J-3 and not at all neccessary it does open up the flight envelop quite a bit allowing experimentation and some fun with not so prototypical manuvers. My ship flys with a K&B .48 and is plenty of power, originally flew with an old Saito .45 which was fine but that tired old engine finally gave up the ghost.

Your TT.46 is an ideal engine in a two stroke for this airplane and you will enjoy the ship. If you wish to use your stock muffler just mount the engine in a fortyfive right position. this will put the muffler in the position that is occupied by the right cylinder bank on the full scale but it will clear the fuse. Its a little less scale but saves the trouble and cost of a pitts muffler.

John

BTW I hate yellow Cubs so mine is all black with yellow lightning stripe and called 'Night Walker'.