Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel Filler Routing

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel Filler Routing

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 03:59 PM
Burrito Bandito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filler Routing

Here's my questions for the day. I'm building a Great Planes 40 size P-51 that was given to me. Engine will be O.S. 46FX side mount. First the hard question:

1. I will be using a Remote Filler Valve (Dubro) because of the cowling etc. This is my first experience with one of these. The valve has two nipples on it and per the limited instructions, it shows one leading to the Carb and one leading tho the Tank. O.k., coming from the tank I have the Clunk line and the vent/filler line. What goes where? Do I need to use the third hole in the tank cap? Maybe I'm just thinking too much, but my brain is pretty fried trying to figure this out.

2. Fuel proofing the tank compartment and the engine mount, I am thinking of using something like a spraypaint dope instead of epoxy painted on. Anyone do this? What type do you recommend? The tank compartment on the model is pretty much done, and it would be alot easier to just spray it in there.

Thanks for your help on these topics.....

J.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:29 PM
Burrito Bandito

Default HELP PLEASE.....

Anybody........?
Old 12-03-2002, 07:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The filler goes between the clunk and the carb (if you fill throught the vent, it will come out immediately from the feed line).

For the tank comp., why not just thin some epoxy with a few drops of alcohol and brush it on? It's very simple. But I suppose a spray dope would work fine.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:32 PM
Kaos Rulz

John,
You're right. You're killing way too many brain cells on this one. This is an in-line fueling coupling. If you are unable to figure which line attaches to the carb, simply insert the fueling probe, pump a small amount of fuel (outside of the plane) and notice which nipple emits fuel. This will be the nipple needing to go to the tank clunk line. The probe shuts off the line going to the card, therefore no fuel should come out of this line when fueling. You labeled the other tank line as a "vent/filler" line. This should be a vent only. I would not recommend you use this line to fill a tank, as then the carb line will quickly become flooded. Use it strictly for the pressure line attaching to the muffler. As far as a good fuel proof spray for your cowling; I can't help much here as I always use fiberglass resin. I would think any Lustercoat, Coverite spray paint, or any onepart epoxy spray should work fine. Others out there may have a better idea. Hope I've helped.

ED
Old 12-03-2002, 07:47 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

the tank vent line goes to yur muffler...the tank fill line goes to the nipple on the remote filler nipple closest to where you insert the fuel probe. the nipple that is further away from where you insert the fuel probe is where the line goes to yur carb....hope i got that right for ya...
Old 12-03-2002, 07:50 PM
bhanley

Default Fuel filler routing...

John - For completely cowled engines where you don't have any external access to fuel lines you have to provide for filling/voiding the tank along with providing the fuel draw and tank pressure from the mufflerwhen the engine is ruinning. Assumming that you want to stay with a two line tank system the above means you need access to both lines, with the cowl on when filling the tank. This assumes that you don't want to use an overflowing muffler as your tank full gage.

To provide for this you could use two fuel dots with a T fitting in each line. This, however, does not block fuel flow to the carb or the muffler during filling operations. I use two Dubro fuel valves to solve the problem - one in each of the two lines. I mount one on each side of the firewall with an access hole to it through the cowl. When filling I insert the fill line (from the my field box) into the line between the carb and tank and then another probe with a short piece of fuel line into the other valve in the muffler pressure line. Thus when the tank is full the excess runs out of the muiffler pressure side onto the ground. When filling with the two probes in place fuel cannot reach the carb or muffler. To mount the valves I just make a simple L bracket that hangs on the firewall and takes a 3/8" hole for the valve. As for the two nipples on the valve, the slanty one always goes to the fuel tank.
When voiding the tank after flying, just insert the field box probe into the carb side and pump it out - don't need to insert the probe in the muffler side.

Hope this helps.
Bruce
Old 12-03-2002, 08:04 PM
Burrito Bandito

Default Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks to all who responded. Every one of the responses helped me to visualize what I needed to do. Now that my Mental Block is cleared up, I can go back to killing brain cells the old fashioned way.....I think I'll have a beer.

Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John
Old 12-04-2002, 01:12 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi John, I have used one of these "easy fueler" valves and it is anything but that. Do a search here and you'll find all the issues with them Dubro or GP. After some time, they develop leaks and all kind of problems. Use fuel dots and a three line system. Good luck
Old 12-04-2002, 12:22 PM
Kaos Rulz

John,
Old 12-04-2002, 12:22 PM
Kaos Rulz

John,
NOW YOU'RE TALKING!

ED