Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting Foam Wings

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting Foam Wings

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 08:50 PM
rcnats
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Foam Wings

Anyone know of any spray paint that can be used to paint foam wings without melting them? I have a Byron Pipe Dream and I want to spray paint the wings if possible. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:38 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Pactra Formula U does not damage the foam. Chevron Perfect Paint also does not harm the foam. Since Styrofoam can be made from different plastics, spray a piece of the scrap foam first just to be absolutely sure. I believe that epoxy paints can also be used on the foam but again, test to make absolutely sure.

A friend of mine has a Byron F-18 that he spray painted with spray paint from a hardware store. Looks pretty good but I can't say exactly what paint he used.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:25 AM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

Styrofoam and in this case, Byrofoam is made from Polystyrene and a foaming agent. Laquer and most solvents attack this kind of material. Try Nelson hobby. They have a great line of Polyurethane paint that is water based. Once it drys, it is cured. I am using it on my Byron P-47 razorback. This stuff does not stink either! I hope this information helps.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:05 AM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

The Nelson Hobby Paint is your best bet. You can put it on with a cheap foam brush or spray it. You can get any color under the sun except Metallics and Flourescent. Cleans with water, and you don't need any respirators as its odor free.

--Paul
Old 02-06-2002, 10:18 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

I will agree with the Nelson hobby paint. Once you get used to it running, it is great stuff - and easy to clean up.