Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hitec servo programmer question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hitec servo programmer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 12:25 AM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec servo programmer question

I've been thinking about buying the Hitec digital servo programmer. Tower Hobbies lists it as follows (Hitec Servo Testor/Digital Programmer. Works for all brands of servos)

Does this mean that it can be used to program all brands of digital servos or that it can be used to test all brands of servos? Also can it be used to test non-digital servos?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:31 AM
redfox435cat

Default RE: Hitec servo programmer question

what there to program on the servo? a digital servo is simple a servo with a digital amp instead of an analog amp. the way the signal is read and interpreted is no different?[sm=confused.gif]
the the only thing I could think of is rotation of the servo and maybe center point. but that all done right by machanics and a computer radio. just seems like a waste of 150 bucks. to each his own I guess
Old 03-03-2006, 01:49 AM
rtn9105

The Hitec digital servos are EPA, Speed Directional and Fail-Safe Programmable.
These adjustments can’t really be made correctly in the TX programming when using more than one servo on a single control surface.
There's some very good info about this in the videos at the following link.
http://www.downonthedeck.com/videos_instruction.htm
Old 03-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Totally wrong. Digital servos have programmable end points, direction of rotation, deadband width, speed, failsafe, and center point functions. None of these can be accurately programmed on your radio to the point that all the servos will be equal. It's true that you can use a digital servo without programming it, but you will not realize the true value of having digitals until you are able to access all the functions with the programmer.
ORIGINAL: redfox435cat

what there to program on the servo? a digital servo is simple a servo with a digital amp instead of an analog amp. the way the signal is read and interpreted is no different?[sm=confused.gif]
the the only thing I could think of is rotation of the servo and maybe center point. but that all done right by machanics and a computer radio. just seems like a waste of 150 bucks. to each his own I guess
Old 03-03-2006, 10:46 AM
MustangFan

The programmer programs the HITEC Digitals Only ... other servos are not programmable.
The Unit will test "ALL" types for servos and can be used during setup.
Has some nice features.
1.) Can Measures the msec signal from the receiver to be used for setup
2.) Can measure and hold the lowest receiver voltage during cycling the servos ... good for testing binding linkage.
3.) You can output any msec signal to the servo and check the operation ( eliminates using the transmitter for setup)
4.) Has a continuous cycling mode ... I use for burn-in testing of new servos.

The HITEC digital servos can be programmed for:
1.) End point ... they can be programmed to go 90 degrees from center or 180 degrees total ( actually a little over if you ever needed)
2.) Speed .. they can be slowed down ... no need for servo-slow ... good for flaps and landing gear ... especiall going 180 degrees.
3.) Center position ... no need for match boxes
4.) Fail safe ... if your radio doesn't have this function
5.) Dead Band ... good if two servos ganged together and are "fighting " each other at center point.
6.) Direction ... no need for servo-reverse on "Y-ed" connections.

Hope this helps
Old 03-03-2006, 07:08 PM
rtn9105

Thanks for the info, that helps allot. I think that pretty much made my decision.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Now if you can just find one to buy and if you do make sure it will program the V1.04 servos.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:42 AM
rtn9105

Don M, I've found a couple of the mail order places that have them in stock. How do I know if they will program the V1.04 servos?
Old 03-04-2006, 06:27 AM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: rtn9105

Don M, I've found a couple of the mail order places that have them in stock. How do I know if they will program the V1.04 servos?

Check out the Hitec Radio support thread on here, Mike Glavin describes it all there.

Where did you find some, I want one too.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Lowlevlflyer

Dont worry too much about the version 1.04. IF all you can find is the earlier version (1.02 I think), Hitec has a deal right now where you can send it in to them and get the upgrade done for free, if you dont mind being without it for a couple weeks. I bought mine about three weeks ago, and as far as I know, I got the only one in the state of Oklahoma, and I STILL have to send it in and get the upgrade done. They are very hard to come by right now.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:24 AM
rtn9105

None of these sites are listing the programmer as sold out and they all allowed me to put it into the shopping cart so I believe they have them in stock.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-14.html
http://www.donalds-hobby.com/Prod/sc...?idCategory=79
http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...RCD44410/110.0
http://www.fusionhobbies.com/accessories/servos.htm
http://www.robotzone.com/customer/pr...&cat=19&page=1
http://www.helicopters-online.com/ac...ml&CatalogBody
Old 03-05-2006, 06:02 AM
Don M.

I would call or e - mail first. I ordered from 2 places that DIDN'T say that it wasn't in stock only to get an email later that said " sorry we are out of stock on that item would you like us to back order it for you" [:'(] This was after I gave them all my info ( including Visa # ) then I had to e - mail and cancel order. Then I ordered it from a place that said THEY DID have it in stock and e - mailed me 2 days later and said that they DIDN"T [:'(]. In frustration I just ordered it from my LHS and when it comes it comes.

For example here is an answer I got back from Maxx Products ( One of the ones on your list )

We do not have the programmers in stock. They have been out of stock for awhile. At this time we do not know when we will be getting them in.

Arcelia

Don Menchions <[email protected]> wrote:
I understand that they are in short supply so I would like to check if you have any Hitec Servo Programmers in stock before I order. If not when do you expect them.

Thank You ........................

My only problem is that when they come back into stock I may get a bunch.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Lowlevlflyer

Yes, definitely email them or call them BEFORE you order, because I can almost guarantee you they dont have them in stock, regardless of what their website's say. Even the Hitec factory website has it listed as "limited availability", so that should tell you something right there.