Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Epoxy Question - am I doing something wrong?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Epoxy Question - am I doing something wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:06 AM
harmsal
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy Question - am I doing something wrong?

Any help with this question will be appreciated. In regards to the last 5 minute epoxy I purchased, the product was fine except that after about a month, one bottle turned into a rock and was entirely unusable. I figured this was a bad batch or something so I purchased a different brand of 5 minute epoxy and after a month or so, the red bottle also turned into a rock. What is going on? Two bad batches in a row? When I use the epoxy, I keep the lids separate and I am very careful not to allow one part to come into contact with another part until I am ready to mix. Could this be the fumes causing this? Could the fumes from the CA cause this? Anybody have a clue?
Thanks!!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:11 AM
tuwood

Default RE: Epoxy Question - am I doing something wrong?

ORIGINAL: harmsal

Any help with this question will be appreciated. In regards to the last 5 minute epoxy I purchased, the product was fine except that after about a month, one bottle turned into a rock and was entirely unusable. I figured this was a bad batch or something so I purchased a different brand of 5 minute epoxy and after a month or so, the red bottle also turned into a rock. What is going on? Two bad batches in a row? When I use the epoxy, I keep the lids separate and I am very careful not to allow one part to come into contact with another part until I am ready to mix. Could this be the fumes causing this? Could the fumes from the CA cause this? Anybody have a clue?
Thanks!!
Is it by chance cold where your storing them? I noticed that my bottles would get real stiff when I had them in the garage, but it wasn't hard as a rock by any means.

BTW, my wife & I grew up in Sioux City...
Old 04-20-2006, 08:13 AM
harmsal

No, I store the bottles in the basement, around 60 degrees F. The one bottle gets just rock hard.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:33 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat it in the microwave for 10 sec with the cap off. It should become a liquid again.
\
Paul
Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Rod Bender

I keep all my epoxy and ca indoors. The cold will make the epoxy very thick, reaction time when trying to mix them when cold is affected also. All my glue and solvents are in a tupper tote that is stored indoors until I use them, or until summer, whichever comes first .... Greg
Old 04-20-2006, 11:14 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do yourself a favor and don't bother with 5-minute Epoxy. I won't even look at it unless it's at leat 15-min, and I rarely even use that.

30-minute is your best bet. It gives you longer working time, adhears to the wood better, and even the 5-min stuff still takes 24 hrs to completely cure. If you really need the fast setting time, use CA - It's just as good as 5-minute epoxy.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:28 AM
fokker20planes

I talked to an epoxy expert once (works for an epoxy company in Bay City MI) and he said the bottom line is quality. He said all epoxy will go bad over time (usually it is the resin which will harden on it's own) but how fast it becomes junk is based on quality. I've had some problems with Tower Hobbies 30 minute and 5 minute going bad in a matter of a couple of short months. Careful when changing brands because a different label does not always mean a different product. Just my usual 2 cents.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:05 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
In my 30 years in this hobby I have never seen epoxy go bad.
but why use 5min epoxy when there is Ca glue...!?
I very seldom use 5 or 12min epoxy!

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 04-20-2006, 02:19 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Thats a new one on me. Been using epoxy for years and never had one do that.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:32 PM
harmsal

Thanks for all the replies.....It sounds like maybe I just got two old batches in a row. One was from Tower and the other was Great Planes. Most likely the same brand.
I'll try the microwave thing and stand back and see what happens.[:-]

Thanks again!!
Al

Old 04-21-2006, 01:51 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi

if it is the double syringe type I think this happen often. I have had same problem. On the bottles I have use heat gun to heat the hardened bottles and this softens it up enough to use. haven't tries this with the double syringe type.

good luck and happy flying.

pt19 flyer