Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

GP FlatOuts/Foam plane questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

GP FlatOuts/Foam plane questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:00 PM
prodigy467

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP FlatOuts/Foam plane questions

I am completely new to foam planes and electric motors. I want something I can fly at the local park though during the week, and also start to learn some 3d maneuvers.

I was taking a look at one of these FlatOut planes by GP:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLVA8&P=0

Anyone had any experience with these?

Are the links they listed under "REQUIRES" a pretty good guide to go by or are they trying to up sell everything. (I would have no idea what kind of engine to buy, so I would need suggestions there)

Also I hear the lipos can be very dangerous, are they OK to use if you just treat them right?

I consider myself intermediate at flying. Can I handle this thing?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:36 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GP FlatOuts/Foam plane questions

ORIGINAL: prodigy467

I am completely new to foam planes and electric motors. I want something I can fly at the local park though during the week, and also start to learn some 3d maneuvers.

I was taking a look at one of these FlatOut planes by GP:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLVA8&P=0

Anyone had any experience with these?

Are the links they listed under "REQUIRES" a pretty good guide to go by or are they trying to up sell everything. (I would have no idea what kind of engine to buy, so I would need suggestions there)

Also I hear the lipos can be very dangerous, are they OK to use if you just treat them right?

I consider myself intermediate at flying. Can I handle this thing?
The flatouts are fun planes. I have the one you linked to plus the Cap. Both have the recommended rimfire motor/esc/battery/prop setup.

If you already have a radio to use then all you need is a receiver that is compatible with it and some hitec 55 servos and if you need it a lithium rated charger. Lipo's are fine as long as you do not let them go below the rated voltage or do not charge them with an improper charger.

I've been using lipo's for a year and had the same concerns and the only problem I had was one I created myself while soldering on the deans connector.

There are better ones for a bit more money but these are really easy to setup
Old 04-25-2006, 03:32 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Prodigy,

By the time you get that thing set-up, you will be in about 350$. Go to http://www.chargerrc.com and look under products at 'combos'. You will find an entire set-up (except the Lipo charger) for 220$. You can get the bipe or one of the others. It comes with a VERY nice, (Hacker), motor, ESC etc... You can get a Lipo charger from $25 to as much as you want to spend.

I fly these planes almost every day and I am hooked. They build VERY quickly and easily, (About 3 hrs if you have some building experience). These planes are far more durable and easily repaired than the flat-outs.

Lipos, like anything else, can be dangerous if mishandled. Follow the directions and precautions to the letter. You will find that these small brushless motors are great fun with Lipos.

The charger planes are very easy to begin with and you can increase the throws for more aerobatic manuevers. After you have mastered the art of the foamie, you can use the electronics in any electric plane you like. I keep one of these in my truck at all times and they are a blast even in moderate winds.....just use high rates in the wind so you can compensate for gusts.

If you are set on that plane, you can get the electronics from http://www.tedani.com to get the components at a lower price. (They have an $11 brushless motor that really rocks).
Old 04-26-2006, 08:27 AM
prodigy467

I added up all the pieces for the biplane and it also came out to about 220 (with no charger). I am definitely not set on the flatouts (i've actually been reading on there that they are very fragile even for a foam plane). I just want something that is a known good buy and will not shatter on a rough landing.

As for lipo's...you say that they can't get below a certain voltage? Thats interesting. Do they lose juice just sitting around? Is a cycler necessary?

Old 04-26-2006, 03:23 PM
agexpert

Your speed control, ESC, will not allow your Lipos to drain below 3V per cell. That is one of the functions of a brushless ESC. Taking a Lipo below 3V per cell will damage the battery permanently. Always fly your battery once and recharge. Do not use a partially discharged Lipo because some ESC's take the beginning or 'peak' voltage and cut off at 80% of that. If you were to use a partially discharged 3 cell lipo battery which was generating only 10V, your ESC, (if it were the right kind), would allow the battery to drain to 8V which is below 3V/C.

Lipo's have no 'memory', and do not discharge or lose significant capacity from storage. Cycling Lipos is not necessary, but many people do it.

I am getting another charger setup next week. I have a Tensor and an Ikarus Shock-Flyer....they are tissue paper compared to the Depron planes like Charger's CR-1, CR-2, YAK etc...

These planes survive some pretty rough landings and repair in minutes because the depron is strong and thick enough to accept glue. I cannot say enough about these planes.

Here is a Video of the new Bipe:

http://www.highdesert3d.com/charger_rc/Shockwave1m.wmv

Here is one of the CR-2:

http://highdesert3d.com/charger_rc/cr-2.wmv

Here is one of some guys goofing around in OC and Mexico with Charger foamies:

http://www.teamflyingcirkus.com/videos/FJAsmhires2.wmv

My appologies to the guys at Team Flying Cirkus for the bandwidth usage resulting from this post.

Have fun...foamies are great for when you can't spare the time to fly glow or gas. I fly foam every day and I am HOOKED!! I fly glow almost every day, but foam...EVERY day. It's great practice and a low risk way of learning new manuevers.

Also check out the forums at:

http://www.teamflyingcirkus.com/newindex.php

I think I need an RC 12-step proram or something.

Later,

TFC handle 'Chase'
Old 04-26-2006, 04:57 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

the stock linkage hardware sucks!!! No adjustablity and plain impossibe to install. Do yourself a favor and use standard parkflyer pushrods and quicklinks. So much eaiser to set up!
Very great flying plane but, I think its a tad on the fragile side. If your know what your doing it wont be a problem!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:39 PM
agexpert

Fragile....LOL

The 'stock' linkage is Du-Bro easy connectors, standard connecting rods and carbon fiber. They are um....easy.....LOL...it does'nt get any easier. I built mine in under 3 hrs.

Park flyers, IMHO are nothing more than toys. If you want a toy, you can get one RTF for around $150 radio included.

Have fun!! The 'toy' park flyers can be loads of fun too. I may get one for my daughter when she gets older. They can be a blast!! But if you want something that can do a bit more look into the 3D foamies. There are other manufacturers who make quality like Charger, but I happen to prefer these planes. They are very durable and easy to fix, build easy and are very reasonable in price.

I just put a hacker in mine and am off to go fly...
Old 04-27-2006, 08:41 AM
prodigy467

well, I've done a ton more reading on the subject and I don't think I'm going to with a flatouts anymore. I just here too many bad things compared to good.

A lot of people seem to mention that the hobby lobby shock flyers are a pretty good buy:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/shockflyer-edge.htm
I've been looking at that one specifically. Seems like it is a bit tougher and more stable then the flatouts. I have not looked into the Charger planes you mention, but I'll get on that.

I have a few questions about lipos, motors, and esc's.....let me know if im on the right track here. Basically to match these together you pick a motor that has the right amout of power you want. You use the "max current" rating to pick an ESC that can output that same amount. But how do you mate a lipo to the ESC? (other then the fact that i see that ESC's state how many lipos they can handle...but 1 lipo can be a lot more powerful then another)

The site i listed above has recommended items to buy with it. But it recommends a 2 cell lipo, can i get the 3cell that has the same mAh but more volts to give me more life out of it?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:40 PM
agexpert

Prodigy,

PM me if you like. I can give you some tips. I just don't want to make blanket statements regarding particular manufacturers on the public forum. They all have their pro's and con's.

What type of flying do you want to do? How experienced are you? What type of budget do you want to start with? All of these play a roll in what your next steps should be.

The Charger Temecula Yak with a Hacker 20-26m motor is a very nice combo.

Later,

Mark