Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help with Spinner Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help with Spinner Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:29 AM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Spinner Question

I have a Saito 100 that I am trying to fit a Dave Brwon 2 1/4 spinner on and have amassed quite a collection of Dave Brown adapter nuts. Problem is, with a 16 X 4 wide prop, the prop shaft, with any adapter except the shortest one, is to long to allow the spinner to contact the back plate. If I use a shorter adapter, I can't quite tighten it down far enough to tighten the prop before the propshaft bottoms out. The two solutions that I have come up with are to shorten the propshaft enough to use the sort adapter or use no adapter and drill/tap the prop shaft which already has about a 3mm hole in it, depth unknown. Any of you r/c ers out there run into this problem. I don't want to cut the prop shaft--its probably hardend steel and tough to cut. Another option is to put spacer between prop hub and back plate, but then I will have a 1/4 +/-" between cowl and back plate and won't look good. I guess the cowl could be relocated a little further forward.

Thanks.

Greg
Old 05-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help with Spinner Question

If you use the shorter adapter, just use an additional washer in front of the prop between the prop and the prop adapter washer. I had to do the same when I'm using a thin prop.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:18 AM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help with Spinner Question

Thanks for the response. That's simple enough. I guess I did that with the washer that comes with the engine, but it's a "bigun" and makes the adapter too long, hitting the spinner. I will try thinner washers. Funny how obvious things can be and how stuck one becomes looking for a solution that is right there in front of my nose.