Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

DAVE Brown Wheels, a quick Q

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

DAVE Brown Wheels, a quick Q

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:46 AM
CHEF-UK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAVE Brown Wheels, a quick Q

Hi wonder if you can help me

(I am in the UK)

I have ordered 2 Dave Brown 4 inch wheels for my Gee Bee made by Adrian Page Aviation 1/5th scale,

Anyhow, stupid people at tower hobbies have sent me the untreaded wheels NOT the treaded ones, now it would take ages to return them to tower hobbies for me as I am in the UK, so was wondering as I have the non treaded wheels, is it possible to “sand” them down on the edges as I don’t want them squared off (profile) just curious if I could do this, and them perhaps some how? add tread to them ? with perhaps a hot blade etc.

SILLY tower hobbies mess up my 1st ever order from them.

have tried to contact DaveBrown Products but his email address is just bouncing back to me.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DAVE Brown Wheels, a quick Q

ORIGINAL: CHEF-UK

Hi wonder if you can help me

(I am in the UK)

I have ordered 2 Dave Brown 4 inch wheels for my Gee Bee made by Adrian Page Aviation 1/5th scale,

Anyhow, stupid people at tower hobbies have sent me the untreaded wheels NOT the treaded ones, now it would take ages to return them to tower hobbies for me as I am in the UK, so was wondering as I have the non treaded wheels, is it possible to “sand” them down on the edges as I don’t want them squared off (profile) just curious if I could do this, and them perhaps some how? add tread to them ? with perhaps a hot blade etc.

SILLY tower hobbies mess up my 1st ever order from them.

have tried to contact DaveBrown Products but his email address is just bouncing back to me.
I don't think Tower messed up. EVERY Dave Brown wheel I have seen has a smooth tread and is squared off at the edges.

It IS POSSIBLE to round off the corners on the wheels with some elbow grease and some GOOD 220 and 320 sandpaper. I suppose you could also add treads to the wheels as you described. This is going to be a lot of work though. You may be better off just getting another set of wheels.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:18 AM
CHEF-UK

cheers for that, and for information, dave brown makes a non treaded tyre as well as the treaded ones. It was a picking error from TH. but it shall be sorted
Old 05-30-2006, 08:37 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are the soft foam wheels, just chuck them in a drill or drill press and shape with sandpaper while they are spinning. Works great.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:32 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

DB produces a variety of wheels and tire shapes, treaded and untreaded. The site is here:

http://www.dbproducts.com/home.htm

Like TLH101 bolt on a long bolt through the axle hole and chuck up in a hand drill or drill press. If a hand drill mount it in a vice with some soft wood so you can use both hands. Use a long strip of paper. I like to us #60 grit for shaping and smooth with some fine paper 150/220 etc. It fun to shape your custom tires. Thread groves can even be added with a small round file. Have done many and its a cool little custom touch

John
Old 05-30-2006, 03:34 PM
CHEF-UK

Thanks John, I shall try that then.