Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

how much paint?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

how much paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:30 AM
BSARGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much paint?

I just covered a plane in solortex(great stuff!), and now in the process of painting it...my questions is, just how many cotes of paint does it take to fill in the weave(or should I not even worry about that)? I know it depends on how heavy each cote is...but it seems like it is taking a bunch of paint and I am afraid of adding too much weight, I am just using rustoleum spray paint. It is a gloss paint and with the weave not filled in the paint doesn't really shine.

thanks
-Bill
Old 06-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: how much paint?

ORIGINAL: BSARGE

I just covered a plane in solortex(great stuff!), and now in the process of painting it...my questions is, just how many cotes of paint does it take to fill in the weave(or should I not even worry about that)?

>Solartex is pre painted with a fuel proof paint.

I know it depends on how heavy each cote is...but it seems like it is taking a bunch of paint and I am afraid of adding too much weight, I am just using rustoleum spray paint. It is a gloss paint and with the weave not filled in the paint doesn't really shine.

thanks
-Bill
Being a fabric finish, you are not going to get a "high shine" (AKA Monokote shine ) unless you completely fill the weave of the fabric.

When I have used non painted fabric (Koverall ), I typically give it one or two coats of a clear dope/talc mix first. Once the weave is filled and sanded, then I give it another coat of regular clear dope. THEN I spray my primer and paint. While a very nice finish results, it is a labor intensive finish and a heavy finish.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:59 PM
nickj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how much paint?

Three coats. And Campy's right, it's a heavy finish, but man, does it look good.