Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What type of glue to use

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What type of glue to use

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:51 PM
AVI Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of glue to use

A while ago, I purchased a hobbico Avistar plane, and only now I am starting to build it. I would like to know what kind of glue to use, the CA stuff, or Gorilla Glue? The only thing that I have read was to be "careful" when using Gorilla Glue. And if Gorilla glue is to be used, then how to I strap the parts down? It says on the package that I should put something heavy on it, or strap it somehow. So do I just use some masking tape? I am just afraid that I might damage the balsa.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:17 PM
AVI Flyer

Default RE: What type of glue to use

I have just tested some of the glue on wood blocks. I got them barely damp, put the glue on them, and pushed them together with some masking tape. At first I tried to breakit using a steel table, but it didn't. So then, I put it in a vice and hit the top block with a hammer. It survived five hits, then it broke. The wood was the only thing to brreak, not where I had glued. So, Gorilla Glue seems like the right thing.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Jimmbbo

Default RE: What type of glue to use

You can use CA, epoxy or aliphatic resin (woodworking glue). For an ARF, likely all you'll need is CA and epoxy.

I use CA for quick balsa to balsa or balsa to ply joints, aliphatic for joining plywood or for slower drying on balsa and epoxy for fuel proofing or maximum durability joints (joining wing root ribs) or laminating plywood sections.

IMO the hassle of using Gorilla Glue isn't worth the effort for the amount of assembly on an ARF, since in a well fitted joint any of the other glues will be plenty strong enough..

Been building models for some time and every time a structure has crunched, the glue wasn't the reason HTH

Jim