Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How do i stop aileron flutter?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How do i stop aileron flutter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:34 AM
archyroof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i stop aileron flutter?

Hi all

I have just finished building a Sweet stick, 48", with an Os 46 AX powering it. it flies well, but the right aileron flutters when it gets up to high speeds. The gap between the aileron and the trailing edge of the wing is sealed on the bottom. does anyone know how to stop this flutter??

thanks

Dean
Old 07-09-2006, 08:03 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: How do i stop aileron flutter?

Have you tried new servos ?
Some servos will not hold center or a constant deflection point. I've had one or two older servos where I could move the surface by hand while holding the Tx aileron stick in different positions.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:29 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When all the usual things do not work then balance the surface. Quick and simple to do, will work everytime.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92584.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	488927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50072.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	488928  
Old 07-09-2006, 08:46 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

usually flutter is a result of too much speed and a flexing linkage.if just one has flutter check for a loose torque rod or hinges or slop in the clevis where it meets the horn or on the servo wheel.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned above, most times flutter is due to springy push rods, slop in connectors, sloppy hinges and possibly very soft aileron stock. The stiffer the aileron stock, the better. No slop in connectors i.e. no oversize holes in the servo arms or aileron horn, stiff short connections between aileron horn and servo, etc.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:21 PM
archyroof

thanks alot, i will try some of these

Dean
Old 07-09-2006, 09:19 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While you are finding a cure DON'T let it flutter, it will tear your plane apart, be sure it is fixed before you go high speed.
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-09-2006, 10:19 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a picture of the above mass balance uninstalled. Its consist of simply a bent threaded end four forty rod double nutted to pass through whichever is the suspect surfaces with a small fishing weight crimped and glued to the end.

As Redhead indicated be carefull as using other stopgap measures can result in catastrophic failure in seconds. Mass balance is the only measure that will insure that the onset of flutter is pushed above any speeds the airplane will ever reach. Consider this virtually all full scale aircraft use mass balanced surfaces for this reason.

It is not neccessary to balance the full weight of the surface. Only about twenty five percent will push the onset well above any possible speed of an RC mocel.

I participate in a number of warbird pylon racing events a year, ARF's are popular in this venue and virtually every event there will be a few occassions where someones airplane will suddenly sound just like an an M60 machine gun at about the same cyclic rate. Many will crash in seconds and some will slow down fast enough to survive. For this reason I always carry a few of these to give away. I rarely come home with them. They work and work well and only takes minutes to install.

I use them not on every airplane but any that has exhibited the onset I will not fly them agine untill it is installed.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71038.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	489290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37882.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	489291  
Old 07-10-2006, 12:55 AM
archyroof

Thanks alot i will try this balencer.
The plane seemts to handle the flutter ok, it has happened a few times and it is still alive

Dean
Old 07-10-2006, 01:11 AM
ArCeeFlyer

I have used the mass balance method also, as well as other members of our club, and it always cures the flutter problem. It also makes a cool conversation piece. [8D]