Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Changing servo leads

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Changing servo leads

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 07:32 AM
BSARGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing servo leads

All my radio equipment is Futaba "J" connectors, my question is this:

Can any brand servos be changed over by changing the lead to a futaba one, or are will some brands just not work? Also I read sometimes that Hitec servos will fit Futaba...is this true?

-Bill
Old 07-13-2006, 07:40 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Changing servo leads

Bsarge,
You can use any brand of servos as long as you ensure the polarity and control wires are properly connected. Refer to the attached diagram as a guide for changing other brands of servos.

Hope this helps

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78646.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	490850  
Old 07-13-2006, 07:42 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Most often you can use the servo without changing the lead. you can just trim the connector with a razor blade so that it fits into the slot on the receiver. You can also cut off the lead and replace it with a lead from another brand. Generally any brand servo will work with any brand receiver. There are three wires (red, black and orange). re-solder the new lead so that the colors match up. Again though your first choice is to trim the Futaba connectors to fit. Futaba has some extra plastic on the plug that must be removed to fit into a JR receiver for example.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:37 PM
BSARGE

Thank you all for the info!!! It was very helpfull....

-Bill
Old 07-14-2006, 06:11 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since is sounds as though what you want to do is to start using other brand servos in your Futaba Rx's. If this is the case you do not need to do anything and there is no tab to cut off since these are not futaba servos.

All modern servos use the same wiring polarity (center pin positive). The JR plug, Hitec S plug, and the Airtronics Z (blue) all will fit a Futaba J plug Rx. perfectly. The only difference is these do not have the tab and therefore its possible to plug the servo backwards. No fear, it won,t hurt a thing, Rx or servo and I,ve done it countless times. just won,t work pop that puppy out and turn around.

Even thats easy to avoid when you realize most top side plugging rx's all orient the black lead to the outside of the case, just look at it as you insert.

The only caution is to avoid old Airtronics servos with the black plug and three splines. This servo has reversed power leads from all the current servos. This will blow your Rx in microseconds unless they are switched out.

John