Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Adverse Yaw

Old 02-01-2002, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adverse Yaw

Is it common practice by every RC Pilot to mix rudder & aileron together to eliminate Adverse Yaw. What about ground control, do you steer with the rudder or aileron stick?
Old 02-01-2002, 01:41 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adverse Yaw

Adverse yaw is corrected by using rudder to control the yaw while rolling into a bank. It is most prevalent in planes with long wings and with barn door type ailerons. A Sig quarter scale Cub, for example, shows a lot of adverse yaw. Most sport and fun fly type planes show so little adverse yaw that we can't even notice it.

Most RC planes tend to have wings with lower aspect ratios, that is shorted and stubbier, and to use strip ailerons. Both of these tend to reduce or practically eliminate adverse yaw. Low aspect ratio wings roll faster, which modelers usually like. They also produce a lot of lift. Along with this lift, they produce a lot of induced drag. That is, if you are turning tight or pulling a lot of g's, your plane tends to slow down. To correct for this, we over power. Low aspect ratio wings usually are much stronger than a high aspect ratio wing. A Pizazz, for example, can pull a lot more g's that a sailplane without breaking the wing.

As for steering, on a 4-channel and up plane, we usually steer with the left hand using the rudder servo. 3-channel planes, by necessity since they use roll-due-to-yaw steering, are usually steered with the right hand. The rudder servo on 3-channel planes is plugged into the normal aileron channel on the receiver.

As an instructor, if my student has a 3-control plane like a Kadet Senior and a 4-channel radio, I have him install the extra servo and hook it to the nose wheel steering and rudder channel. This way he can learn to steer on the ground with his left hand, but still do roll control with his right. This precludes him having to learn to steer left-handed on his second plane.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:44 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (-2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adverse Yaw

The amount of adverse yaw depends on the type of airplane.Pattern type planes have very little,while older scale type plane can have larger amounts.For ex, a scale piper cub,or champ has quite a bit and does need a lot of rudder to coordinate the turn.I personally dont mix aileron to rudder,dont know why,just never got into the habit.As far as steering on the ground,99% of the time its going to be the rudder,connected to either the tailwheel or the nose wheel