Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering Advice?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 02:40 AM
SigFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Advice?

Just got a Hog Bipe for Xmas, and been doing my research before I start on the kit. This is my 3rd kit (all SIG) and 4th plane.

I'm looking for some options for covering. To date, I've done all my planes with Ultracote with good luck, it's easy to apply and repair. Was thinking of trying fabric this time around, being a bipe it just crys out for cloth covering.

Horizon offers something called "worldtex". I've seen it mentioned here but have no experience with it. Is this the same as solartex? Any good? Is it thin, or thick like coverite? Does it apply to itself for detailing? (you can tell I use ultracote with that question).

I'm not interested in working with silk and dope, it's gotta be an iron on covering. Any opinions, experiences or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2003, 03:30 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering Advice?

Worldtex, Solartex & Colortex, to me seem all the same. You can put trim over it, with same material or have used Ultra-coat (Ora-cover) with good results. They say it is fuel proof, but oil in fuel will stain it (can`t remove it ). Needs to be coated with something to protect(clear Luster-coat , Perfect or a urethane). I have had very good luck with 21st Century fabric this is fuel proof with a doped fabric look, it also can be ironed one on top of another(no bubbles) In your case I would use 21st Century . Hope this helps. big max 1935 AMA 14958
Old 01-03-2003, 01:55 AM
SigFan

Default 21st Century

Hmm, I've gotten mixed replies regarding 21st century fabric. Hear it was a little thick and was hard to hide and seal the seams. How does it go around corners? I'm so spoiled by ultracote and I'm worried about the rounded wingtips on the Hog. Does it stretch well?

Guess maybe when the time comes I'll pick up a roll and give it a try. Thanks for your input Max.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:17 AM
big max 1935

Default Covering Advice?

It is thicker than films ,but the seams don`t seem all that bad. I don`t have trouble with tips, lots of strech, but when you do bottom wrap plenty over edge. Watch heat on edges or it will let go. The last step I do is take dope & a small brush & paint the seams. Another one of those that takes a little practice ! I think you will like the look if it. MAX
Old 01-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Default Covering Advice?

If it is World-tex that Hanger 9 uses on it's big Cub, then it looks better than 21st century fabric.
I always liked 21 st century, but after seeing the H9 cub, I am going to try World-tex.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:29 PM
big max 1935

Default Covering Advice?

Jjemo: World-tex is easy to use but needs to be sealed with something to keep oil from fuel soaking in.All the tex`s are that way, unless they changed them in last year. big max 1935
Old 01-04-2003, 12:19 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Default Covering Advice?

Thanks Max,
I will keep that in mind
Old 01-09-2003, 11:52 PM
SigFan

Default Covering

Hi max, been away for a while.

How about sealing those seams with thinned epoxy? I really want to cover the hog in cloth but don't want to loose it because a seam came loose. And I hate the smell of airplane dope.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:33 AM
big max 1935

Default Covering Advice?

Dave : I guess that epoxy would work, but if you use any of the tex`s you should still coat it with something. I have used water base urethane on fire walls & tank compartments, but now I hear that is not fuel proof . It works for me, so who knows maybe some are ok? 21st Century you just need to do seams. I use dope & I like the smell, it has not effected me at all all all all all. MAX
Old 01-10-2003, 05:31 AM
SigFan

Default Max

Max, thanks for your quick reply.

I've been talking to a couple of the more experienced guy at my RC club and have decided to give the 21st century fabric a try. I won't be at that stage for a little while, but will be sure to post a few pics when it's done.

I plan on yellow for the main color and will try my hand at painting on the details. Still trying to decide if I want a cowl on it or not. I got some great ideas over at fubar hill and with this being my third kit I think it will come out pretty nice.

Thanks again............
Old 01-10-2003, 03:32 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Covering Advice?

I've used 21st C before, and I'm planning to use it on the 1/4 scale Cub that I am currently building. Great stuff (and no prob going around corners).
Old 01-24-2003, 06:52 PM
crotts
My Feedback: (2)

Default Covering Advice?

Just finished covering a SIG 1/6 Cub in Solartex and it could not have been easier. Will be applying some flat lustre coat this weekend. I've also been told that the Poly sold by Nelson Hobbies is a great finish coat for Solartex.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:25 PM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

Default Covering Advice?

I have used the solartex, and love it...... The seams blend into each other and simply disappear!

It shrinks great, it stretches fine and conforms to complex shapes very nicely!!

Solartex gets my vote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:32 PM
BIGPLANES

Default RE: Covering Advice?

I HAVE USED SOLARTEX BUT NO OTHERS. SOLARTEX IS GREAT. I COVERED MY 33% CUB WITH IT AND IT LOOKS FANTASTIC. IT DOES SOAK UP OIL FROM THE FUEL THOUGH. SO IN THE FUTURE I'LL SEAL IT. IT'S THE EASIEST COVERING I'VE EVER USED. IT'S AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH IT.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The last time there was a post on this thread was Janurary of 2003 but the facts are the same. The TEX coverings are the best coverings to work with but if you don't give them a thin coat of something like Poly-U they will stain a little from oil and dirt. Not a big deal but it can happen. If you worry about the staining then coat it. I no longer bother.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:19 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to the forums, BIGPLANES. Two things: it's smart to look at the date on a thread you find in the searches so you don't resurrect a ten year old thread. Second, don't type in all caps. It's annoying and in "nettiquite" it is considered shouting. Don't do it. Otherwise welcome and enjoy the forum. There's absolutely nothing you can't find out here.