Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flight logging

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:42 PM
cap85king

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight logging

I'm just wondering what you do if you log flight time. What would be good as a log book and where can I get them? I'd like to learn before going to an RC event.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Flight logging

I went through several different logging programs but couldn't anything that really did everything I wanted it to before I found Flight Log by Shawn Lammers. It's a free download from [link]http://www.lammers.ca/FlightLog/[/link] . I've been using it for about 3 years now and I can't imagine ever doing without it. It does so much more than just logging flight time like tracking all of your planes and equipment, charting battery historys, and even keeping track of how much fuel you use. Check it out

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 08-04-2006, 08:55 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

Anybody know of anything that runs on PocketPC and sync's with a desktop?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Krossk,
Not that I know of. I had thought about that when I got flight log. In fact I contacted the programmer about possibly developing one. But after some thinking about it, and 3 years experience I find that I prefer a simple piece of paper at the field. I a log that I print on 3"x5" cards and I have a stack of them in my radio box. After each flight I jot down the plane and the time it flew. I also record winds, temp, date, time, and sky conditions at the start of each flight session. When I get home I input that data into flight log. I found that I can manually input all of my flights quicker than it would have taken to hook up my device, link, sync, and close out. I'm not a techno-phobe at all, in fact I work in the IT field. I have just found that K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) is much easier in the long run.

Ken
Old 08-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Newc

Here's what I use and find more than sufficient.

OOOOPPPPS, the board won't allow uploading of a simple Microsoft Word document!

I simply have a table with columns labeled "Date", "Field", "Flight Time", "Total Time", "Total Flights" and "Comments"

I believe in the KISS principle.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:39 AM
APIA

I picked up a pilot flight log book at the local airport and it serves the purpose well. I keep it in my flight box.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:55 AM
krossk

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Krossk,
Not that I know of. I had thought about that when I got flight log. In fact I contacted the programmer about possibly developing one. But after some thinking about it, and 3 years experience I find that I prefer a simple piece of paper at the field. I a log that I print on 3"x5" cards and I have a stack of them in my radio box. After each flight I jot down the plane and the time it flew. I also record winds, temp, date, time, and sky conditions at the start of each flight session. When I get home I input that data into flight log. I found that I can manually input all of my flights quicker than it would have taken to hook up my device, link, sync, and close out. I'm not a techno-phobe at all, in fact I work in the IT field. I have just found that K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) is much easier in the long run.

Ken
Thanks, I'm also a developer and have thought about writing one, but then I'd have even less time to fly than I already don't have.[:'(] Maybe I'll just throw a simple Excel spreadsheet together and use it on my PPC phone - simple AND portable...
Old 08-06-2006, 11:01 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's wrong with a good old paper record? Unless you're trying to use a program to extrapolate data, just writing the stuff down will suffice. I'm on, like, my fifth notebook. I've been flying since 1986.

A simple table shows me date, model, engine, # of flights, and total airframe/powerplant time (i.e., how long the engine runs, from crank to shut-down on each flight, per session). A Remarks Section covers any additonal info needed.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:55 AM
krossk

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

What's wrong with a good old paper record? Unless you're trying to use a program to extrapolate data, just writing the stuff down will suffice. I'm on, like, my fifth notebook. I've been flying since 1986.

A simple table shows me date, model, engine, # of flights, and total airframe/powerplant time (i.e., how long the engine runs, from crank to shut-down on each flight, per session). A Remarks Section covers any additonal info needed.
Sorry - professional influence at work here.
I'm a software engineer by trade and tend to use a computer for as much as possible. Since I tend to always have my PPC phone with me, I figured it's as good as anything else if there was an app available. YMMV
Old 08-06-2006, 07:59 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

I simply keep a small notebook to record the flight number and notes that might be helpful later such as engine idiosyncrasies or RPM or prop size. Sometimes I get to record a bump up.

Bill